- It backups your notes as separate files named by note ids (like 68b329da9893e34099c7d8ad5cb9c940.txt)
- Backup files contain tags.
- It stores files in
- If a note has only one tag, put it into a directory named by the tag. This lets you keep the structure when you import notes into the Notes.app.
Sample of the content of a backup file of a note.
Content of the note. After the content and a blank line, tags follow. tags: foo, bar
I know https://app.simplenote.com has a "Download .zip" feature, but it doesn't include tags. I know https://app.simplenote.com has an "Export notes" feature, but it seems to exclude notes in trash. Neither of these lets us automate backing up (for instance periodically using cron). I am tired of searching around for other options...
- It uses the simperium-python sdk.
- I don't trust 3rd party tools that handle my password, so I don't require you to trust me either. The simperium API didn't provide us with a way like OAuth. So you need to retrieve a token from http://app.simplenote.com/ by yourself.
Installation (OS X)
Sorry if your desktop OS is not an OS X. Sorry if you are not familiar with the command line. I hope you can figure out how to deal with this nontheless.
1. Create a working directory
If you don't have any idea where to place the directory, your home directory is an option. I.e.
mkdir ~/SimplenoteBackup cd ~/SimplenoteBackup
2. Get what's needed
git clone https://github.com/Simperium/simperium-python.git git clone https://github.com/hiroshi/simplenote-backup.git
3. Get your token
- Open https://app.simplenote.com and log in.
- Open the inspector in your browser (A shortcut may be Command + Alt + j).
simperium_opts.tokenin the console of the inspector, and press enter.
- You will see your token; it looks like "a543b9622f7bf1a340a8a6682d09ad17".
4. Run my script
cd ~/SimplenoteBackup/simplenote-backup make TOKEN=YOUR_TOKEN_HERE
If it succeeds you will see something like this:
Starting backup your simplenote to: /Users/hiroshi/Dropbox/SimplenoteBackups Done: 3156 files (1605 in TRASH).
If you'd like to choose another destination directory, add BACKUP_DIR option to the
make TOKEN=YOUR_TOKEN_HERE BACKUP_DIR=~/my-simplenote-backup
5. Add a cron task if you wish
If you wish to execute a backup job once an hour, add the following line to your crontab:
0 * * * * cd $HOME/SimplenoteBackup/simplenote-backup && make TOKEN=YOU_TOKEN_HERE > cron.log 2>&1
- Provide an archive file packed with simperium sdk.
- Run the script as a service somewhere so that you don't need to keep open a desktop machine for backing up notes entered eg. on your mobile device.
- Provide a bookmarklet to the grab token from https://app.simplenote.com, to ease setup.