Design and software for a WiFi board for the Apple Newton MessagePad 2x00
- The PCB design for the board (v1.1)
- The Newton PKG software module for enabling the board in software
- STL files for 3D printing a replacement modem port cover. The original port cover interferes with the installed PCB. I have also included a representation of the original port cover, in case you need one. There is a version with supports for printing on a typical hobbiest fused-filament 3D printer. Trim carefully to size using a razor blade.
Bill of Materials
- PCB fabricated to 0.8mm thickness
- IW-SMG2SMT-EX - Wireach WiFi / 802.11 Module - External Antenna
- JAE IL-WX-32PB-VF-BE - Internal Connector - No longer available
- LMZ21700SILT - Voltage Regulator Module
- R1 SMD 0603 15k Resistor
- Cout SMD 0805 22uF Capacitor
- Cin, C3 SMD 0805 10uF Capacitor
- Css SMD 0603 3.3nF Capacitor
- C4 SMD 0805 470nF
- Rt SMD 0603 562K ohm 1% Resistor
- Rb SMD 0603 180Kohm 0.5% Resistor
- MC74VHCT50ADT - Buffer
- MC74VHC1G04DFT2G - 1G Inverter
- Resettable Fuses - PPTC 15V 1206 .500A POLYFUSE
License & Disclaimer
This project is released under the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.
- Feel free to make your own, or make one for your friends.
- Please release any improvements back to the community.
- Non-commerical use only. Please don't make & sell these at a profit. If by some odd chance you want to make these for sale, please contact me.
As with all of my projects, please use this at your own risk.
BECAUSE THE PROGRAM & HARDWARE DESIGN IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM & HARDWARE DESIGN, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM & HARDWARE DESIGN "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM & HARDWARE DESIGN IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM OR HARDWARE DESIGN PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE PROGRAM OR HARDWARE DESIGN AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM OR HARDWARE DESIGN (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM OR HARDWARE DESIGN TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS OR HARDWARE), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
The software included toggles low level hardware signals using undocumented Newton ROM functions. It is intended for developer use. You should know what you're doing, as this could do damage to your hardware.