Whatnext is the only way I found myself being able to have some control over my studies.
It's methodology is quite simple. You define the subjects you want to study, the importance of any one of these subjects and the complexity of them. Given that whatnext will calculate what's more important for you to study right now. It will give you an ordered list of "what to do next". You may follow it or not. Next time you study any of the subjects you tell whatnext. With this info in hand whatnext will refine what's more important to do next.
Anytime your requirements change over the subjects you may only change the configuration file and whatnext will figure out what's more important next.
The projects rests on some premises:
- Life is too complicated to prepare beforehand a calendar of what to study and follow it accordingly
- Yet we want some control and balance over the subjects we study
- What really matters is that we know what to do next
- What to do next cannot be a "must follow" only an advice
- It's better to study in many little sessions than in few big one's
- We want to study a lot of things and there are subjects more important than others (and their importance change quite often)
For a detailed explanation see this post
The production version can be found here for free.
To get Further examples at a look at the documentation