Active Record CRUD
The goal of this lab is to get comfortable performing CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) actions using Active Record.
There are different ways to solve this lab so feel free to experiment!
Before starting this lab run
bundle, to get the proper gem dependencies. If
your operating system is OSX El Capitan, and you have an issue installing
EventMachine, first check to make sure Open SSL is installed by entering
brew install openssl in terminal. Once it's installed, enter
brew link openssl --force.
rake -T, which will list all of the rake tasks you have available
in this lab. These tasks come with the
Start the lab by running
learn or keep reading for more instructions.
Try using the rake task
rake db:create_migration NAME=create_movies to create
your migration file. Once you have a migration file add columns like so:
After your migration is ready run
rake db:migrate to
migrate your table and
rake db:migrate SINATRA_ENV=test to migrate a test
database so you will be able to run
learn to see the tests. To make them pass open
movie_controller.rb and complete each method. It will help to open
spec/models/movie_spec.rb to see exactly what each spec is testing for.
In each method the
__ corresponds to a line of code you will need to write to
make the spec pass.
Each test will take us through performing a basic CRUD action using the database we just created. These tests will take you through:
- A movie can be instantiated, given a title, and saved
- A movie can be instantiated with a hash containing all of its attributes
- A movie can be created in a block
- You can return the first item in the table
- You can return the last item in the table
- You can return the number of records in the table
- You can return a movie from the table based on its attributes
- You can use a
whereclause to select the appropriate movies and sort them by release date
- Can be found, updated, and saved
- Can be updated using the
- Can update all records at once
- Can destroy a single item
- Can destroy all items at once
View Active Record CRUD on Learn.co and start learning to code for free.