Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Mapstraction Version Numbers
As of v3.0.0 of Mapstraction and onwards the format for version numbers and their accompanying Git tags follows the Semantic Versioning standard.
The TL;DR version is that Mapstraction version numbers are of the form
Xis the major version number
Yis the minor version number
Zis the patch number
When To Increase The Version Number
- The patch number is incremented when bug fixes that are backwards compatible with versions/releases with the same major version number are released
- The minor version number is incremented when new features are implemented that are backwards compatible with versions/releases with the same major version number are released
- The major version number is incremented when new features or bug fixes are released that are incompatible with versions/releases with the same major version number.
To put it another way ...
- Fix a bug that makes no change to the API and is compatible with
vX.Y... up the patch number
- Implement a change or a new feature that is compatible with
vX... up the minor release number
- Implement a change or a new feature that is incompatible with
vX(you've changed the API contract) ... up the major version number
Version tags follow the above system and are of the form
vX.Y.Z. For release candidate versions, tags should be of the form