Clone this wiki locally
record mock hardware devices for bug reports and regression tests
- The README.rst has an introduction and command line examples
UMockdevTestbedclass API documentation is generated during build in
- The script format is documented in docs/script-format.txt
- There are examples in C and Python that show how to build simulated devices from scratch for test suites
- I wrote some blog posts about the introduction (that doesn't provide much over README.rst, though), record/replay of input devices, record/replay of tty devices, and record/replay of Unix sockets.
- I held a talk at the Linux Plumbers Conference 2013: slides, notes, BeamerTeX source
- Ubuntu QA lightning talk (first half of the video) in November 2013. slides, notes, BeamerTeX source
Projects that use it
- The upower test suite mocks batteries, ACs, and UPS devices.
- The gvfs test suite contains ioctl records from a digicam and a phone music player and uses them for regression-testing the PtP and MTP backends.
- Ubuntu's autopkgtest for shotwell uses umockdev to verify gphoto camera photo import into Shotwell with autopilot to drive the UI.
umockdev is pretty much demand driven. When you want to do something new in that area that umockdev doesn't support yet, please check/file a bug. The issue tracker shows the current requests/ongoing work. Also, please feel free to grab me on IRC (pitti on freenode) or send me an email.