AL Object Designer
C/Side Object Designer was something that the new AL development environment lacks of very much. The idea behind this extension is to provide a main hub for daily development by giving back the ability of overview.
- List Overview of all AL objects in your project: based on symbols (*.app) and your local .al files.
- List Events from symbol objects, browse them in the same way as objects.
- Live Update: object list is automatically maintained as you create/change/delete objects or download symbols.
- Multi-Folder workspaces are supported: e.g. a workspace with MainApp/TestApp folders.
- Object Search: filter by Object Type, Name or ID.
- Event Search: filter by Object Type, Name, ID or Event Name.
- Copy/Paste Events: copy event subscription definition to clipboard by clicking on Event Name.
- Object/Event Name filtering: works with partial matches as well. Just like the Windows RTC Client's search field.
- Run selected objects.
- Run table/page extentions.
- View definition of Symbols: original file is opened for local files.
- Generate new objects from tables: card/list pages, report, query.
- Built-in snippets: generate new dictionary or entry tables using a single click.
- Custom snippets: use your own snippets placed in
- Design view for Pages (alpha): card/list layout is rendered for local pages. Card/Document Symbols are also supported.
'Run Object' function is based on commands from CRS AL Language Extension. It's made by Waldo so you should install it anyway. ;)
- AL Object Designer: opens Object Overview
- AL Page Designer: opens up Page Designer for currently edited AL Object (Page)
This extension has a limited ability to view a rendered page layout without deployment, or move existing fields/actions on screen using drag&drop. Supported page types:
- Card types: Card, Document
- List types: types other than Card/Document are regarded as List
Rendered layout is very similar to Business Central pages, although not an exact copy as I'm not using Office Fabric UI.
TODO: this is something I want for future releases. Many options are now hardcoded but should be customizable for the best experience.
- Design feature works only with pages, the window is empty when selecting page extensions.
- View (Go to definition) is active for all object types, however, it will not work with Control Add-ins for example.
- Event listing does not include events defined in local objects.
- It might be too bright for dark themes.
Searching for "Item Ledger Entry" table
Find Page "Sales Order" as a dynosaur would :)
Filter to workspace and check the context menu for more options
Real-time Page Designer (alpha)
Under the hood
AL Object Designer is a single-page Aurelia app that is embedded into a VS Code WebView and exchanges data back and forth.
For more information
Github repo: feel free to fork it or send feedback/pull requests.
Happy AL coding!