Meeting Notes: Development, Nov 13
Notes are truncated, and conversations sorted based on topic and not always chronological. Quotes are edited for brevity and clarity, and not always exact.
(apologies if I missed someone - submit a PR or contact @lehnberg to add)
Agenda points & Actions
- ignopeverell: Main two themes were preparation for grincon0 and consolidation. Beside traveling and presentation, there have been a lot of cleanup and small enhancements, for example @hashmap and @antiochp collaborated around removing a lot of the unsafe code we still had around. Also wallet fixes, refactoring, etc. I expect we'll see mostly that up to mainnet, the only other main thing to get there is Cuckaroo, our second PoW.
1. Agenda review
Proposed agenda accepted, with an added point of "Wallet plugins", and moving POW to earlier in discussion.
2. Action point follow-up
- P2P tx building: No update
3. Wallet plugins
- mcdallas tool Gringotts keybase integration for tx building triggered thinking on supporting "transaction plugins" in the wallet, where http/s could be one such plugin, file-based could be one, gringotts could be another, etc.
- yeastplume: 'plugins' just means providing standard API entry points for different communication methods.
- antiochp: might be best to get two or three impls done manually so we know what shape the plugins will likely be.
- yeastplume: I think getting the http and keybase 'plugins' together in a common format would go a long way towards shaping that.
- Things worth adding:
- from/to in the JSON exchange format as well, to help normalize drop-off services like grinbox
- a TTL expressed in block height
- Open call to all people building wallet and transaction-building services to get involved and shape this!
- tromp: I've been discussing cuckatoo32 feasibility with an asic designer, they say it looks impossible to make it run at 1 gps. So will start a discussion thread on forum (ed.note: here), about required memory bandwidth and how to achieve that.
- Anything <1 gps affects progress-freeness.
- Tromp working on Cuckaroo coding.
- Discussion around primary vs secondary POW terminology. Alternatives suggested:
- Decision to keep naming as is for now and change in the code once there's consistency.
5. Hard fork
- With POW not ready it's too early to agree on a HF schedule.
- Decision to review again next week.
- HF Contents will mainly be Cuckaroo POW.
6. Mainnet planning
- ignopeverell: We're getting real close, if it was a normal software product, I'd be thinking about releasing already
- Mainnet milestone: https://github.com/mimblewimble/grin/milestone/4
- Igno to do another pass on triage of
must-havefor mainnet issues.
7. Other questions
- Need to introduce a 'block size soft limit', i.e. a capacity limit to allow a miner to ignore txs exceeding the soft block limit. Purpose to allow miners to be able to mine smaller blocks than consensus value for economic/orphan related reasons, and prevent tx spam when fees are very low.