Meeting Notes: Governance, December 18 2018
Notes are truncated, and conversations sorted based on topic and not always chronological. Quotes are edited for brevity and clarity, and not always exact.
- lehnberg (joined for 2nd half)
(apologies if I missed someone - open a PR or contact @lehnberg to add)
Agenda points & Actions
1. Agenda review
Proposed agenda accepted, with additional other points "Grincon.us update" & "genesis message" added.
2. Action point follow ups from previous meetings
- Risk management brainstorm: Council members @yeastplume and @antiochp have yet to complete the risk assessments.
- Actions on @burrata to crowd-source post mainnet priorities and document current decision making process have yet to be completed.
- @tromp's Cuckaroo CPU miner not yet done.
- Discussion around naming conventions:
- CuckARoo: ASIC Resistant
- CuckAToo: ASIC Targeted
- Reminder to all miners to document performance using the GPU mining stats wiki page.
- Catheryne: Quarkslab cannot start until after Jan 15 and need extra days to familiarize themselves with the code. Given that, I recommend you finish the libsecp audit and then we put it out for everyone again afterwards.
- libsecp audit is being by done by someone very well known in cryptography community, still not fully confirmed if they can be revealed.
- Agreement to go back to more firms, while the libsecp audit proceeds, and then reevaluate next year.
5. Mainnet planning
- Milestone: https://github.com/mimblewimble/grin/milestone/4
- Little less than a month to go, nothing anticipated to block a release, give or take a few days. (But never say never)
- Aim to have final testnet out this week, mirroring mainet closely.
- Igno has prepared a release script that will generate the genesis block and publish it throuch committing it to the repo, where everyone do a pull and rebuild. Genesis timestamp should be 30 min in the future roughly.
- For bitcoin block, 3 different bitcoin APIs are queried for the last block, and check they return the same. The script pauses before committing anything for Igno to validate the orphaning status.
- davidburkett: Since your genesis utility is modifying code anyway, can you just have it write the full bitcoin block header to a code comment? This would address any orphaning worries.
- igno: Yes, assuming we can easily record that we could do that.
6. Mission statement
- https://github.com/mimblewimble/grin-pm/issues/27 is a good start, but we should try to narrow it down even further, ideally to 3-5 statements. The shorter the list to vote on, the better.
- General sentiment to tone down the missions a bit, some are too inflated and self-important.
- Any particular preferences on the mission statement, comment on the issue.
We have a new website that was finally redesigned. There's still definitely space for improvement, both with some minor cleanups and improvements on content. The website is published straight from https://github.com/mimblewimble/site so if you have improvements in mind, feel free to open some PRs.
8. Risk mgmt brainstorm
- Blocked until council members complete risk assessments.
9. Other questions
9.1 New channel 'grin-trading'
- There's now a #trading channel on the Grin Keybase team.
- Purpose to faciliate OTC trading and price discussions.
- Start with keybase for now, if the main Gitter channel still ends up hosting these discussions, we may also create a dedicated Gitter channel, but no need at this stage.
- All were in favour of it's introduction.
9.3 Rescheduling of meetings
- Next dev meeting moved to: Dec 27
- Next governance meeting moved to: Jan 3
9.4 Grincon.us update
- New website
- 50% of tickets have sold out, 2.5 weeks after announcing.
- Any help for getting sponsors are welcomed.
9.5 Genesis message
A couple of suggestions floated
15/Dec/1890 The Right to Privacy
tuned to a dead channel
i solemnly swear I am up to no good
No decisions made.