This project encodes the Bible in TEI, starting with the books (all of them in Spanish): John and Mathew Gospels, Apocalypse, Genesis, Ruth, Jonah, 75 Acts, Malachi, Haggai, Exodus, Zechariah, Micah, Habakkuk, Nahum, Zephaniah, 1 and 2 Samuel, 1-3 of John, Jude, Job, James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, Ezekiel, Ecclesiastes, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Joshua, Mark, Daniel, Hosea, Judges, Obadiah, Philemon, Nehemiah, Psalms, Ezra, 1-2 Timothy, Titus, Jeremiah, Philippians, Amos, Leviticus, Lamentations, Galatas, 1 and 2 Kings, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, Isaiah, Ephesians, Esther, Numbers, Proverbs, Colossians, Deuteronomy, Song of Songs, Luke, 1 and 2 of Chronicles. José Calvo Tello started this project because the Bible is a interesting text that speaks to everyone, and XML-TEI makes possible to listen the text in new ways.
And because I didn't find any XML-TEI Version of the Bible with information below the verse level like direct speech or entities.
The project has started encoding:
- Chapter, pericopes and verses
- References to peoples, places, times, groups and books, using ids
- Direct speech, including who is communicating, to whom and how (written, oral, prayer...)
This project also includes some other files:
- Scheme to control the XML-TEI
- CSS to visualize the text in Browser and correct it
- Some files of documentation
- XSLT and Python scripts to extract some interesting information
- The resulting data and visualizations
- Table (entities.xls) to control the ids used
My work in this project and its markup are published under Creative Commons Licence BY Attribution 4.0 International.