List Folders (Java version)
- List files and subfolders of a selected directory
- Filter files by extension (include/exclude)
- Filter root directories by name (include)
- Export to text, markup, tree
- Select export name
- Manage options (save/restore form fields using MySQL database)
- View tree structure of exported directory using internal Tree Viewer
The program is used to list files and subfolders inside a selected local file system path. It is possible to customize filters to exclude/include files and include directories. Three export options are available:
- Export Text - get text file with the folder structure
- Export Markup - get HTML markup
- Export Tree - get JSON and HTML files for jsTree jQuery plugin to view folder structure in tree mode
Additional Export name field allows set different name for exported files. By default the root folder name is used. Manage Options button toggles side dialog window which allows save current options (path and filters) to the database and then retrieve them using the dropdown list. After selecting a list item it's possible to remove it with the Remove button.
- JRE 1.7.0 installed with the path to the
jre7/bin/folder included in the system PATH environment variable.
- [optional] MySQL server running and database
db.sqlfile to create database with needed structure) if you need to save last program state before closure and use Manage Options dialog. You can use XAMPP installation and select only MySQL.
Install & Run
- Run the List Folders.exe installer and pass all steps (installer on SourceForge).
- The Desktop and Start Menu shortcuts should be created.
- Start the MySQL server if needed.
- Start the program with the shortcut or using the List Folders.exe or List Folders.jar file from the installed directory.
- If JRE is installed and the PATH is configured correctly the main program window should appear.
Paste a directory path in the Path field.
Add extensions to Filter Extensions to include only files with specified extensions.
Add extensions to Exclude Extensions to exclude files with these extensions (the Filter Extensions text will be ignored).
Add folder names (that are subfolders or current directory from the path) to Filter Directories to include only these directories.
Select Export Options
- Export Text - creates
.txtfile with the directory structure in the
- Export Markup - creates
.htmlfile with the same text as for the Export Text but with wrapped directory/file names in appropriate elements. The file is created in the
- Export Tree - creates two files:
export/treesubfolder of the project main folder and
.htmlfile can be run directly to view the scanned directory content in the tree format. It uses jsTree plugin for jQuery to give representation and interaction of a file tree on the HTML page.
- Export Text - creates
Using the field Export Name you may set your name which will be given to
.jsonfiles in the
export/treefolder when the tree view is exported. Or leave it blank to use the selected directory as the Tree name.
Press Scan Directory.
During the scanning the statistic information should appear in the bottom textarea.
After the scan the
exportsubfolders should contain exported files with scanned structure.
To check tree view go to
.htmlfile in browser. It should show the directory structure with expandable tree branches.
- To save current path and filters enter name in the field and press Add.
- To load a saved option select a name from the list.
- To remove a saved option select a name and press Remove.
- Press Tree Viewer button.
- Paste the path to the JSON file with tree structure to the Path field or use Browse button to select the file. The default browse location should point to the
export/tree/jsonfolder with exported JSON files.
- Press Load Tree to show the file structure in the main area.
- Esc - Exit Main window / Manage Options dialog / Tree Viewer
- Ctrl+R - Scan directory
- Ctrl+O - Browse for directory in the Main window / browse for JSON file in the Tree Viewer
- Add: "code" icon for code files
- Change: default folder icon and favicon for Tree view
Add: Access keys for text fields, checkboxes and buttons
Add: Shortcut tooltips for buttons with shortcuts
Change: Bottom textarea outputs log information during scanning
Change: Reorganized files in the installation directory
Change: Disabled wrap lines in the output textarea
Fix: Scanning of some directories gave empty result because of the reading errors. Now when such errors occur the scanning continues and the error message outputs to the textarea