This is a WebExtension + Experimental API to gradually roll out DNS-over-HTTP to Firefox users.
How to install WebExtension
- Install web-ext
npm install -g web-ext
- Install the dependencies
- Build the addon
npm run build
How to run WebExtension
web-ext run --verbose -f Nightly
- Run a non-release build (Nightly or Aurora) version 61+.
extensions.legacy.enabledto true in about:config
- Navigate to
about:debugging, choose "Load Temporary Add-on" and select a file from this project:
You should see a new entry in the list of extensions titled "DoH Rollout".
To see the banner create a new boolean pref
doh-rollout.enabled in about:config and set to
This will run heuristics against your network settings to determine if DoH can safely be enabled. If it can, it will trigger a doorhanger notification announcing that is has been enabled.
To check if DoH is turned on, check the value of pref
network.trr.mode. If it is enabled, it will be set to
Telemetry will be sent each time heuristics are evaluated.
- Firefox 61+
See the guidelines for contributing to this project – including on how best to report an issue with this project.
This project is governed by a Code Of Conduct.
To disclose potential a security vulnerability please see our security documentation.
This module is licensed under the Mozilla Public License, version 2.0.
Related press releases:
- What’s next in making Encrypted DNS-over-HTTPS the Default September 9, 2019
- DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) Update – Detecting Managed Networks and User Choice July 31, 2019
- DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) Update – Recent Testing Results and Next Steps April 2, 2019
- Next Steps in DNS-over-HTTPS Testing November 11, 2018
- DNS over HTTPS (DoH) – Testing on Beta September 13, 2018