oTranscribe is a free web app designed to take the pain out of transcribing recorded interviews.
- Pause (ESC), rewind (F1) and fast-forward (F2) without taking your hands off the keyboard
- Adjust playback speed with a slider or using F3/F4
- Your transcript is automatically saved to the browser's
- Rich text support using
- YouTube and video file support
... and more!
Download a copy
Although a web version is available, you can install oTranscribe anywhere by following these steps:
- Download the current ZIP archive.
- Compile the CSS and JS with Webpack (see below for more detailed instructions).
- Upload the files in the newly-generated
distfolder to a server of your choice.
Please note that, in Chrome, local copies oTranscribe may not run correctly due to the browser's privacy settings.
- Install Node.js and NPM.
npm installto install dependencies
make build_prodto compile the
For a sourcemap and 'watch-for-changes', run
OTR file format
oTranscribe has its own file format (.otr), which is just a JSON file with the following parameters:
- text: The raw HTML of the transcript
- media: If available, the name of the last media used
- media-source: If available, a link to the last media used
- media-time: If available, the playtime of the last media used
oTranscribe is not fully tested. There are only a small number of tests, for data migration.
To setup, install CasperJS.
Then run a server at the root directory of this repository at
http://localhost:8000, and on the command line run:
casperjs test tests/
Translations have been provided by the following talented and generous volunteers:
- Catalan: Joan Montané and Jon Sindreu.
- Chinese: baiqj, Cindy Ng, Andy Pan, Cp0204 and Robin Kwong
- Danish: Christian Bruun.
- Dutch: Patrick Mackaaij and Marjolein Quist.
- Filipino: Patricia Albano.
- French: Olivier Aubert, @goofy-bz and Dr J Rogel-Salazar.
- German: Dr J Rogel-Salazar and Lisa Bernhardt.
- Indonesian: Joy Tikoalu.
- Italian: Dr J Rogel-Salazar, Edoardo Putti and Federico Lasta.
- Japanese: harupong.
- Norwegian: Hallvar Hauge Johnsen
- Polish: Emil Maruszczak and Piotr Tarasewicz.
- Portuguese: enVide neFelibata.
- Brazilian Portuguese: Leonardo Barichello and Carlos Eduardo Pinheiro Rocha.
- Romanian: Iain Apreotesei and Catalina Albeanu
- Russian: Pavel Osminin
- Spanish: Cristian Duque, Dr J Rogel-Salazar and Adrián Blanco.
- Swedish: c3ons.
- Turkish: Mehmet S. DERİNDERE.
- Ukrainian: Myroslav Opyr
- Vietnamese: Trần Ngọc Quân
- Greek: Konstantinos Alexiou
More about translating oTranscribe here.