Stop exporting dozens of PNGs for your Android app -- this extension adds a new save as type for Android vector images. Once installed, select save as or save a copy, and you should see a type called Android VectorDrawable (*.xml) in the dropdown list.
Copyright (C) 2017 Owen Tosh
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see gnu.org/licenses.
Copy the files
androidvector.imx to your extensions directory. Reload Inkscape, and the new save type should be available.
Usage and Limitations
- Currently, this extension only works with paths and groups. All other objects will need to be converted to paths before saving the document; otherwise, they will not be represented in the vector image.
- Android vectors do not support gradients. The extension will attempt to use one of the gradient colors instead.
- Android vectors have slightly different opacity implementations. Inkscape has three opacity values for paths: stroke, fill, and overall. Android has no overall opacity, so this is combined with the stroke and fill opacities.
- Android Studio has a function to reformat code. If you need to modify any attributes in Android Studio, you can reformat the XML to make things easier on yourself.
- Scientific notation does not work in certain versions of Android. Updated to resize the viewbox, and eliminate very small values (e.g.
- Initial version
- Currently only supports saving the entire document. Would be helpful to migrate this extension to a more export-like tool, which would allow for exporting just a selection.
- Currently only supports groups and paths. Would be helpful to automatically attempt to convert objects to paths before processing.
- XML formatting isn't the greatest. Would be helpful to add newlines and spaces between tag attributes.