What is phpDocumentor?
phpDocumentor an application that is capable of analyzing your PHP source code and DocBlock comments to generate a complete set of API Documentation.
Inspired by phpDocumentor 1 and JavaDoc it continues to innovate and is up to date with the latest technologies and PHP language features.
phpDocumentor supports the following:
- PHP 5.3 compatible, full support for Namespaces, Closures and more is provided.
- Shows any tag, some tags add additional functionality to phpDocumentor (such as @link).
- Processing speed, Zend Framework experienced a significant reduction in processing time compared to phpDocumentor 1.
- Low memory usage, peak memory usage for small projects is less than 20MB, medium projects 40MB and large frameworks 100MB.
- Incremental parsing, if you kept the Structure file from a previous run you get an additional performance boost of up to 80% on top of the mentioned processing speed above.
- Easy template building, if you want to make a branding you only have to call 1 task and edit 3 files.
- Command-line compatibility with phpDocumentor 1, phpDocumentor 2 is an application in its own right but the basic phpDocumentor 1 arguments, such as --directory, --file and --target, have been adopted.
- Two-step process, phpDocumentor first generates a cache with your application structure before creating the output. If you'd like you can use that to power your own tools or formatters!
phpDocumentor requires the following:
- PHP 5.5 or higher
- ext/iconv, http://php.net/manual/en/book.iconv.php (is enabled by default since PHP 5.0.0)
- ext/intl, http://php.net/manual/en/book.intl.php
- The XSL extension, http://www.php.net/manual/en/book.xsl.php (optional, only used with XSL based templates)
- Graphviz (optional, used for generating Class diagrams)
If you do not want to install the Graphviz dependency you are encouraged to generate your own template and make sure
that it does not contain anything related to
An easier solution might be to edit
data/templates/responsive/template.xml file and remove every line
containing the word
Graph but this will be undone with every upgrade of phpDocumentor.
Please see the documentation about creating your own templates for more information.
There are 3 ways to install phpDocumentor:
- Via PEAR (recommended)
- Via Composer
- Using the PHAR
Please note that it is required that the installation path of phpDocumentor does not contain spaces. This is a requirement imposed by an external library (libxml)
phpDocumentor is hosted on its own PEAR channel which can be discovered using the following command:
$ pear channel-discover pear.phpdoc.org
After that it is a simple matter of invoking PEAR to install the application
$ pear install phpdoc/phpDocumentor
- phpDocumentor is available on Packagist.
It can be installed as a dependency of your project by running the following command.
$ composer require --dev phpdocumentor/phpdocumentor
WINDOWS USERS you may encounter an error
ZipArchive::extractTo(): Full extraction path exceed MAXPATHLEN (260) when trying to run the above command. If you do simply add
--prefer-source at the end of the command.
Afterwards you are able to run phpDocumentor directly from your
$ php vendor/bin/phpdoc
Using the PHAR
- Download the phar file from http://phpdoc.org/phpDocumentor.phar
How to use phpDocumentor?
The easiest way to run phpDocumentor is by running the following command:
$ phpdoc run -d <SOURCE_DIRECTORY> -t <TARGET_DIRECTORY>
This command will parse the source code provided using the
-d argument and
output it to the folder indicated by the
phpDocumentor supports a whole range of options to configure the output of your documentation. You can execute the following command, or check our website, for a more detailed listing of available command line options.
$ phpdoc run -h
phpDocumentor also supports the use of configuration files (named phpdoc.xml or phpdoc.dist.xml by default). Please consult the documentation to see the format and supported options.
For more detailed information you can check our online documentation at http://phpdoc.org/docs/latest/index.html.
- phpDocumentor must be installed in a path without spaces due to restrictions in libxml. The XSL transformation will throw all kinds of odd warnings if the path contains spaces.
If you would like to help out financially we accept donations using gittip. All donations will be used to cover the costs for hosting phpDocumentor's website and PEAR repository.
To come in contact is actually dead simple and can be done in a variety of ways.
- Twitter: @phpDocumentor
- Website: http://www.phpdoc.org
- IRC: Freenode, #phpdocumentor
- Github: http://www.github.com/phpdocumentor/phpdocumentor2
- E-mail: email@example.com