For the beginner aspiring to write a simple hypervisor.
This hypervisor is Intel VT-x/EPT based thin hypervisor for windows with minimal code. The hypervisor demonstrates the basics:
- programmatically check hardware features that support virtualization.
- initialize Virtual Machine Control Structure (VMCS).
- initialize Extended Page Table (EPT).
- setting up stack for vmm.
- instantiating virtualization on multiple-processors.
- handling vm-exits.
- Visual Studio Community Edition 2015 with update 3
- Windows 10 SDK
- Windows 10 WDK
Installation and UnInstallation
- Clone/Download the source code and compile it in Visual Studio.
- To install do: 2.1) Open cmd.exe as adminstrator and then: 2.1.1) bcdedit /set testsigning on 2.1.2) sc create hypervisor type= kernel binpath= c:/Users//desktop/hypervisor.sys 2.1.3) sc start hypervisor
- To uninstall do: 3.1) Open cmd.exe as administrator and then: 3.1.1) sc stop hypervisor 3.1.2) sc delete hypervisor
All logs are currently printed to Dbgview.
Supported platforms: The hypervisor has been tested on windows 7 x64 in vmware vmplayer 12 with virtualization enabled.