SeismoCloud project: http://www.seismocloud.com
- NodeMCU 1.0 devkit (with ESP-12E module - ESP8266)
The device will acquire all IPv4 configurations (address, netmask, gateway, DNS) via DHCP.
If you have any firewall in your network, please allow these ports (outgoing, to internet):
- TCP: 443, 1883
LED status description
LEDs can be in these different states (empty cells means "OFF"):
|ON||Device is idle and listening|
|ON||ON||The device has lost its connection, and it's trying to reconnect|
|ON||ON||A vibration/shake is detected!|
|ON||ON||ON||The device is connecting to the SeismoCloud network|
|ON||ON||Checking for updates or updating|
|ON||Connecting to Wi-Fi network*|
|ON||Calibration in progress|
At the end of the boot sequence all three LEDs will blink rapidly to signal that it's OK.
*: If only the yellow LED is ON for more than 10 seconds then the NodeMCU is waiting for Wi-Fi network configuration (see the chapter "How to build/upload the software")
How to build the device (hardware)
- Wi-Fi network (WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK, open)
- Arduino/Genuino IDE with ESP8266 sdk installed. If you haven't ESP8266 sdk:
- Open Preferences window (from File menu)
http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.jsoninto Additional Board Manager URLs field. You can add multiple URLs, separating them with commas.
- Close with "OK", open Boards Manager from Tools > Board menu and install esp8266 platform (and don't forget to select NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E) board from Tools > Board menu after installation).
- Arduino/Genuino IDE libraries:
- Open Include Libraries from Sketch menu, and choose Manage Libraries
WiFiManagerinto search bar, then install it by clicking on Install button below; the same for
- Close window
- NodeMCU 1.0 devkit board with ESP-12E module
- MPU6050 Accelerometer
- (optional) 3 LEDs (red-green-yellow) with 3 resistors
Arduino/Genuino IDE 1.8.10, board SDK
esp8266 2.6.2, libraries
PubSubClient 2.7 and
Wiring the Accelerometer MPU6050
Link these pins from Accelerometer MPU6050 to NodeMCU board:
- 3v3: 3v3
- GND: GND
- SDA: D1
- SCL: D2
Remember to put a resistor with LED (after/before is not really important) to limit current flowing, otherwise you may damage the NodeMCU board.
By default, LED pins are:
- Pin D5 : Green
- Pin D6 : Yellow
- Pin D7 : Red
How to build/upload the software
For NodeMCU, you need to download
WifiManager library (by using Sketch > include library > library manager)
- Download the source code (for stable releases, please checkout latest git tag)
- Open project in Arduino IDE
- Choose the right Port and Board into Tools menu (if you're unsure, use
- Compile and upload (2nd button below menus) in your board
- Connect to
SeismoCloudWi-Fi network and configure Wi-Fi client network parameters. On save, the board reboots and will try to connect to Wi-Fi network. If it fails, you can reconnect to
SeismoCloudnetwork and modify/fix network parameters.
- Open SeismoCloud app, connect to the same network of the board and register your device. Enjoy!
My device has only the yellow LED powered on for more than 10 seconds
The sensor failed to connect to the Wi-Fi network. Please follow the instruction in chapter "How to build/upload the software" step 5
I'm connected to the Wi-Fi network, but no configuration portal appears.
Try to open a browser and navigate to http://192.168.4.1 . If the Wi-Fi portal still not showing, disconnect the board from the power source for few seconds. If it still fails, flash again the board erasing the Wi-Fi configuration using the option from the Tools menu.