Python 2.7.x on CentOS 5.x
Upgrade python (http://www.python.org/) to latest stable version without breaking yum on CentOS 5.x.
This script was tested on:
- CentOS 5.5 (i686)
- CentOS 5.6 (i686)
- CentOS 5.7 (x86_64)
- CentOS 5.8 (x86_64)
It's idempotent and cleans up after itself on exit or interrupt (^X^C).
This script has only been tested on CentOS 5.5, 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8.
Please do NOT run it on CentOS 6.x (it should not be needed).
You must be root or use sudo.
You can edit
install_python27.sh to select destination path for python:
If you do not wish to install python extras (pip, virtualenv and fabric), please set:
Please make sure to add the path your environment, depending on your
dest and python version, for example:
- allow Python 3 to be installed.
Need Help or Want to Contribute ?
All contributions are welcome: ideas, patches, documentation, bug reports, complaints, and even something you drew up on a napkin.
It is more important to me that you are able to contribute and get help if you need it.
That said, some basic guidelines, which you are free to ignore :)
- Have a problem you want this script to solve for you ? You can email me personally (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Have an idea or a feature request? File a ticket on Github, or email me personally (email@example.com) if this is more comfortable.
- If you think you found a bug, it probably is a bug. Please file a ticket on Github.
- If you want to make it better, best way is to fork this repo and send me a pull request. If you don't know git, I also accept diff(1) formatted patches - whatever is most comfortable for you.
Programming is not a required skill. Whatever you've seen about open source with maintainers or community members saying "send patches or die" - you will not see that here.
License & Author:
Author:: Anthony Scalisi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.