This Repo contains the embedded BeagleBone code. Find the Website code in this repo: https://github.com/sciguy14/LibeTech-QR-WebSystem
The LibeTech QR-Code Based Entry system is a unique way to do away with traditional keys and swipe cards. Using a simple web interface, approved users are added to the system via their email addresses. Once added, these users are sent a QR code via Email, that when held up to the system, allows them to unlock the door.
- I have already taken care of cross-compiling ZBar for the beaglebone platform. It is in the zbar directory and should be ready to run when put on your beaglebone. Learn more about zbar here: http://zbar.sourceforge.net. I'm using it to decode the QR Codes.
- To run this, make sure python is installed, and execute "python entry.py"
- You will need to edit entry.py to look for the valid.txt file on your own webserver
- User enters email into Website
- Unique QR code is generated and emailed to user's smartphone
- Hash of code embedded in QR is sent to the door module
- User holds their phone up to the camera on the door module
- Door module scans QR code, hashes it, and compares it to stored allowed code
- If hash is a match, door is opened
- If not, door remains locked
- QR code remains valid until new user signs up, and old code is invalidated
- Jeremy Blum - B.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering '12, MEng '13 (Developed the Hardware, Software, and Web Backend)
- Lindsey Brous - School of Hotel Administration '12 (Market Research and Development)
- Harris Nord - B.S. Industrial and Labor Relations '12 (Strategy)
- Kaitlin Uebele - School of Hotel Administration '12 (Finances and Business Development)
The project was conceived and developed by the above team as an entry to Cornell University's Hospitality Business Plan Competition in 2012. We made it to the final round of 5 teams from the original 31, but alas, we did not win. We did, however, win both the GE Imagination Award and the Verizon Wirelss Innovation Award at Cornell's annual "Bits on Our Minds" technology demo fair.