./INSTALL script to choose the distribution logo (Ubuntu, by default) and the Gnome menu icon. If run as root, the script will copy the iconsets to
/usr/share/icons to made them available to all users. Some default icons used by Rhythmbox may be also replaced.
./UNINSTALL as root to restore defaults icons.
Faenza icon theme is available to install for Ubuntu users via a PPA repository. Open a terminal and run:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tiheum/equinox sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install faenza-icon-theme
You can also install the
faenza-icons-mono package. It replace the 22x22 squared icons for Deluge, Exaile, Fusion Icon, iBus and Kupfer by their monochromatic counterpart.
- Ubuntu 10.10: the Unity panel has a strange behavior with some icons compared with the previous version (and Gnome 2 panels of course), especially with user menu and battery state icons. You might use one of the to new themes instead of the classic ones: Faenza-Ambiance is suitable with dark panel and toolbars (inherits Faenza-Darkest theme), Faenza-Radiance with light panel and controls (inherits Faenza theme).
- Some applications are configured to always use the same icon regardless of the selected theme. To display the Faenza icon, edit as root the
/usr/share/applications/application_name.desktopfile and locate the line beginning with
Icon=. Replace the fullpath icon name by the one of the Faenza icon (usually, the name of the application itself) without the extension. Don't forget to make a backup before changing one of those files. E.g. Vim desktop file is
/usr/share/applications/gvim.desktop. Some desktop files can be located in
/usr/local/share/applicationsor in your
~/.local/share/applicationsfolder (e.g. Steam desktop file is somewhere in
~/.local/share/applications/wine). Here is a partial list: emacs23, desura, gcolor2, bluefish, hardinfo, setroubleshoot, gufw, pithos, vim, rssowl, netbeans, gazpacho, guake, all commercial games, etc
- If you want to use the new Gnome contact application, edit its desktop file (
/usr/share/applications/gnome-contacts.desktop) to use the specific (and beautiful) icon named gnome-contacts ;)
- Java applications like jDownloader or Frostwire doesn't support themes even if you edit the corresponding
- A lots of applications does not currently support support monochromatic tray icon (deluge, gnome-do, skype, spotify, goldendict) without changing the application icon itself. Please report issue to the developers.