Speech Translator Readme
This document outlines the procedures and general information for the Speech Translator project.
- Reporting a Bug
- Suggesting a Feature
This web browser extension can translate any video, audio or livestream in real-time.
It uses speech recognition technology to convert speech from any source into text: the transcribing process. Then it translates the text from one language to another using the selected service.
You can use it for:
- 🎞️ Transcribing and translating livestreams, videos, calls, etc.
- 🎤 Transcribing and translating your speech for a livestream overlay in OBS (for livestreamers)
- 🖥️ Real-time computer-assisted translation (basically human translation)
- 📖 Practicing language learning by dictating the text and reading the translation
- 🔠 Creating translated subtitles or captions for videos or podcasts
- 👩💻 Creating a non-machine translation using the textual version of spoken words (called transcript)
- 👂 Enhancing accessibility for people with hearing impairments The extension can be used on Android with Kiwi Browser.
Download and Install:
If you experience any issues with setting up the extension, please read the troubleshooting page.
Currently, the project does not have any funding, so even a small tip or a paid subscription can make a big difference. As a subscriber, you will enjoy various perks, such as extra translation services and personal tech support. Your generosity will help me cover the costs of development and maintenance, and motivate me to keep improving the extension.
Here you can donate or subscribe
Reporting a Bug
Please make sure you have read the troubleshooting instruction.
Search for similar issues, it may have been answered already. If a similar issue already exists, you do not need to open another one for this. If you want to help with it in any way, you can do so by providing appropriate information in the existing issue.
Create a minimal reproduction to illustrate the issue and take screenshots.
When writing an issue, please provide as much detail as possible. However, you must include:
[Documentation]in the title if it is related to the instruction or to the text of the interface
- Your OS
- Web browser name and version
- The extension version
Note that “reproduction steps” should be a series of actions that a developer can reproduce, not a recollection of how you discovered the bug.
Suggesting a Feature
Search for similar issues, it may have been discussed already. If a similar issue already exists, you do not need to open another one for this. If you want to help with it in any way, you can do so by providing appropriate information in the existing issue.
When writing a feature request issue, please add
[Feature Request]in the title.