___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ /\ \ /\__\ /\__\ /\ \ /\ \ /\ \ _\:\ \ /:| _|_ /:/ / /::\ \ /::\ \ /::\ \ /\/::\__\ /::|/\__\ /:/__/ /:/\:\__\ /:/\:\__\ /::\:\__\ \::/\/__/ \/|::/ / \:\ \ \:\/:/ / \:\/:/ / \/\::/ / \:\__\ |:/ / \:\__\ \::/ / \::/ / \/__/ \/__/ \/__/ \/__/ \/__/ \/__/
INLOOP, the INteractive Learning center for Object-Oriented Programming, is a Python web application to manage online programming courses, powered by Git, Django and Docker:
- Flexible: you can write tasks for arbitrary programming languages, as long as they can be packaged into a Docker image.
- Secure: solutions are checked inside a minimal and strictly isolated Docker container, which is discarded after execution.
- Modern: push-based (or periodic pull-based) import of tasks, Markdown task descriptions and accompanying material from a Git repository.
- Fast & scalable: solutions are processed asynchronously by a configurable number of background workers.
- Easy to extend: modern, modular and PEP-8 compliant Python 3 code base with less than 3000 lines of code, good test coverage and continuous integration tests.
INLOOP requires the following software:
- Debian 11+ or Ubuntu 20.04+, macOS 10.15+ (for development only)
- Python 3.8 or 3.9
- Docker 20.10+ (Docker setup !!!)
- Redis 5.0+
- Git 2.25+ (workarounds for older Git versions)
- PostgreSQL 12+
Using the command line, a development instance can be set up as follows:
Install and check the setup of required software with
./support/scripts/macos_setup.sh(macOS). The script complains if it finds things that are not configured correctly and displays hints how to fix it.
On macOS, please run:
export CFLAGS="-I$(brew --prefix firstname.lastname@example.org)/include $CFLAGS" export LDFLAGS="-L$(brew --prefix email@example.com)/lib $LDFLAGS"
(This is necessary on Python 3.7 or newer to build the
make loaddbto bootstrap your local development environment.
Start and monitor the development web server and huey workers with
The previous step prints the address and port number of the local webserver that was started. You can immediately log in using the demo user accounts admin, staff, and student with the password secret.
You can use our Java example task repository as a starting point to explore INLOOP.
- M. Morgenstern and B. Demuth: Continuous Publishing of Online Programming Assignments with INLOOP (ISEE 2018: 1st Workshop on Innovative Software Engineering Education).
Authors and credits
Project lead: Martin Morgenstern
Contributors: Dominik Muhs, Philipp Matthes, Julian Catoni
INLOOP borrows its concept from the Praktomat, developed originally at the University of Passau and later at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology:
INLOOP is released under GPL version 3 (see LICENSE.txt).
Copyright (C) 2015-2022 The INLOOP authors. INLOOP is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. INLOOP is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.