People often ask us for recommended reading lists; books and websites where they can learn about best practises in web design and development. So here are a selected few!
Web standards / books
- Learning Web Design - the latest version of a book I bought when I was starting in the industry (called Web Design in a Nutshell back then) by Jennifer Niederst Robbins. Recommended for beginners.
- A Book Apart - superb collection of short, concise books on all things web standards.
- Smashing Magazine books - some great web industry books published by Smashing Magazine. Recent highlights include Inclusive Design Patterns and Real-Life Responsive Web Design
- Designing with Web Standards - The original book on web standards by Jeffery Zeldman and still an excellent introduction to the topic.
Web standards / online books
- Adaptive Web Design: Crafting Rich Experiences with Progressive Enhancement - a good overview of progressive enhancement from Aaron Gustafson. First edition is free online, you can also pick up a copy of the latest edition.
- Atomic Design - a great resource on component based design approach that works so much better in the responsive world by Brad Frost. Available free online and as a physical book.
- Resilient web design - a fascinating read on the web, where it came from and where it's going by Jeremy Keith.
- Yale Style Guide - one of the first books I picked up and still a great study on the elements of successful web design. Available free online and as a physical book.
Web standards / sites
- A List Apart - the original webzine for web standards, and still a good read.
- Layout Land. Good YouTube channel on standards and CSS grid from Jen Simmons.
- Grid by Example. Example step-by-step guide to CSS grid from Rachel Andrew.
- 24 Ways - a great advent series of articles on web design & dev.
- Smashing Magazine - they publish regular articles and some fantastic books on current web design trends.
PHP / books
- Learning PHP - A Gentle Introduction to the Web's Most Popular Language - looks like a good introduction to PHP which also covers best practices in the industry
- Modern PHP: New Features and Good Practices - great book from the inventor of the Slim Framework, Josh Lockhart, on the latest features that make up modern PHP.
- PHP Web Services: APIs for the Modern Web - excellent book by Lorna Jane Mitchell on web services and APIs, which make up the beating heart of many websites.
PHP / sites
- PHP The Right Way - an excellent summary of current best practises and tools in PHP.
- PHP Nomad - regular online talks, a great way to learn if you don't have a local PHP user group.
- PHP Cambridge - local PHP community user group run by our founder Simon R Jones. Come along to hear great speakers talk PHP!
Project Management / books
- Interactive Project Management: Pixels, People, and Process - great approach to project management from Nancy Lyons and Meghan Wilker
- User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product - a good overview to defining requirements via user story mapping
- The Power of Project Leadership: 7 Keys to Help You Transform from Project Manager to Project Leader - be a leader, not just a project manager
If you're interested in joining a friendly, independent team of web professionals where we invest in our team through conferences, mentoring and training find out more on our jobs page!