leHACK 2019: Analyzing CVE-2018-8453: An interesting tale of UAF and Double Free in Windows Kernel
This talk was delivered at leHACK 2019
In this talk, we discuss intricate details of exploitation of CVE-2018-8453, a vulnerability in win32.sys Microsoft Windows driver. It which was reported by Kaspersky Lab as it was being used in highly targeted attacks.
In this talk, we discuss its intricate details, how to reproduce it and how to exploit the vulnerability on different versions of Windows as the vulnerable code is present in Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 as well (though we will be demonstrating it on Windows 7 and Windows 10 only).
After attending the talk, the attendees will have knowledge about:
- How to do binary diffing
- Locating vulnerable code from description of vulnerability
- Exploiting Use After Free vulnerability in Windows Kernel
- Exploiting double free vulnerability in Windows Kernel
- Various challenges in writing kernel exploits (mitigations and bypasses)
- Performing Heap Spray and Data Only Attacks (on different Windows versions)