Traversal API Prototype for Neo4j
This project is a prototype for a new traversal API for Neo4j.
Design goals include:
- Allowing the same API to be used both for the Embedded Neo4j Graph Database, and with the Neo4j Graph Database Server.
- Being able to express the intent of traversals simply without having to consider complex details.
- Allow for the traversal engine to optimize traversals from the provided traversal declarations.
Traversal modes intended to support:
- Homogeneous traversals.
- Path based traversals, based on simple and complex path expressions.
- Pattern matching traversals.
- Search: A*, shortest path, et.c.
- Combinations of the above.
Possible start entities: * Node * Relationship - bidirectional? * Path - bidirectional? * Traversal result * Index hits
- No user defined callbacks
- Define everything through descriptions - cover all common cases
- Possibly leave an "escape hatch" (callback based?) for "advanced" stuff.
- Optionally be able to construct stateful (start position) descriptions from entities.
- Path filtering.
Traversal positioning is:
- Where I am.
- How to continue from here.
- (optionally) carried state.
- Expand candidates
- Order candidates
- Evaluate candidates to create next position