A lasting library of knowledge for the internet.
TopAnswers is what Stack Overflow should be: focused on communities and knowledge sharing, not profit. We share some of the same aims:
- Focus on questions and answers. Everything else we do is to help us produce useful questions and answers.
- Keep the signal:noise ratio high with a voting system that helps good answers float to the top.
- Build communities of experts across a diverse range of subjects.
We aren't a clone though; we diverge in important areas:
- We are not for-profit, so contributors will never be the 'product', and our core aims will not evolve over time.
- As much as possible of our platform is published as open source on GitHub.
- We've improved the focus on Q&A by moving comments to the side.
- You are free to decide how to license your contributions.
We are small right now --- we already launched Databases, TeX and Code Golf and also have a *nix community in private beta. If you would like to help build a community here, you can. If you are coming from an existing Stack Exchange community you will be able to import your content from there.
There is a lot more detailed information on our Meta community (a place for questions and answers about TopAnswers itself), for example:
- Why we are building TopAnswers
- TopAnswers Code of Conduct
- Who will moderate and what tools will they have access to?
- What markdown options are available?
Finally, we share many goals (and some contributors) with another project you might like to know about: Codidact.