zUID is a cloud enabled service in the z/OS environment that generates a unique identifier using a specialized patent-pending algorithm. It is guaranteed to generate 100% unique identifiers until the year 34,000 without requiring a database system to manage.
Service returns the UID in 3 different hex formats, plain, guid and ess in plain text format. They are not wrapped in XML or JSON structures.
- plain: 32 bytes, 1234567890abcdef1234567890abcdef
- ess: 34 bytes, 12345678-90abcdef12345678-90abcdef
- guid: 36 bytes, 12345678-90ab-cdef-1234-567890abcdef
No authorization is needed for this service.
In addition to being web enabled you can call this routine directly using a CICS LINK command in your COBOL programs. The HTTP interface was designed to make it available for more consumers out side the z/OS environment.
About this project
Please refer to the following locations for additional info regarding this project:
- System Requirements and Considerations.md for minimum software version requirements and key environment configuration considerations
- Installation.md for instructions on installing and setting up this service
- Usage.md for API descriptions, sample code snippets for consuming the service, other usage related details
- Randy Frerking, Walmart Technology
- Rich Jackson, Walmart Technology
- Michael Karagines, Walmart Technology
- Trey Vanderpool, Walmart Technology