A Python library to automate Tor Browser with Selenium.
pip install tbselenium
You also need to install geckodriver v0.17.0 from the geckodriver releases page. Make sure you install the v0.17.0 version; newer or older versions will not be compatible with the current Tor Browser series.
geckodriver installation by running the command below; it must return
from tbselenium.tbdriver import TorBrowserDriver with TorBrowserDriver("/path/to/TorBrowserBundle/") as driver: driver.get('https://check.torproject.org')
TorBrowserDriver does not download Tor Browser Bundle (TBB) for you. You should download and extract TBB and provide its path when you initialize
Test and development
Install the Python packages that are needed for development and testing:
pip install -r requirements-dev.txt
xvfb package by running
apt-get install xvfb or using your distro's package manager.
Run the following to launch the tests:
By default, tests will be run using
Xvfb, so the browser will not be visible.
You may disable
Xvfb by exporting the following environment variable:
Running individual tests
First, export a
TBB_PATH environment variable that points to the TBB version you want to use:
py.test to launch the tests you want, e.g.:
Check the examples to discover different ways to use TorBrowserDriver
- check_tpo.py: Visit check.torproject.org website and print the network status message
- headless.py: Headless visit and screenshot of check.torproject.org using XVFB
- hidden_service.py: Search using DuckDuckGo's hidden service
- parallel.py: Visit check.torproject.org with 3 browsers running in parallel
- screenshot.py: Take a screenshot
- stem_simple.py: Using Stem to start the Tor process
- stem_adv.py: Using Stem with more advanced configuration
Tested with the following Tor Browser Bundle versions on Debian and Ubuntu:
Windows and macOS are not supported.
Solutions to potential issues:
- Outdated (or incompatible) Python
seleniumpackage: This is the source of various obscure errors. Make sure you have
seleniumversion 3.3 or above.
- Outdated Tor Browser Bundle: Download and use a more recent TBB version.
- Try an older geckodriver version that matches the current Firefox version number inside the Tor Browser Bundle.
- Port conflict with other (
Tor) process: Pick a different SOCKS and controller port using
tbb_logfile_pathargument of TorBrowserDriver to debug obscure errors. This can help with problems due to missing display, missing libraries (e.g. when the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set correctly) or other errors that Tor Browser logs to standard output.
- When you use
LAUNCH_NEW_TBB_TORoption and get the following error message during the initialization, it's likely that Tor failed to bootstrap (due to network etc.):
Can't load the profile. Profile Dir: /tmp/tmpO7i1lL/webdriver-py-profilecopy If you specified a log_file in the FirefoxBinary constructor, check it for details
driver.get_cookies()returns an empty list. This is due to Private Browsing Mode (PBM), which Selenium uses under the hood. See #79 for a possible solution.
We greatly benefited from the following two projects: