gcix provides a cross-platform implementation of the Immix garbage collector
Why another GC?
The only GC that is providing a VM/language agnostic API is currently provided by boehm gc (see bdwgc). There is currently no Immix GC implementation in C++ that can be used/integrated as easily as the boehm gc. There are some Immix gc implementations around. but they are often tightly integrated into a specific VM/language like Haxe, Rubinius...etc
- Immix GC as a service
- Provide a "reference" implementation in C++11 of the Immix GC and eventually RC Immix
- Provide a VM/language agnostic garbage collector using latest research (Immix/RC)
- Support for Sticky Immix (semi-generational)
- Support for interior pointers
- Precise pointers scanning: semi-conservative on stack and precise on heap.
- Several unit tests to ensure the GC is correctly implemented and tracking regressions (Note: unit tests are currently broken. Changes on latest internals not backported to tests)
- When enough mature make a join-venture with SharpLang project
The project is currently under development and is in a very early alpha state (and well, no development on it for the past month!).
What has been done so far:
GlobalAllocator, providing a chunk allocator (a chunk is composed of several Immix blocks),
ThreadLocalAlloactor, to be used by mutator GC (i.e. the program)
- Basic multithreading support (
GlobalAllocatoris thread safe)
- Naive marking and collector
What is under development:
- Implements marking by using SSB (Sequential Store Buffers)
- Start to work on implementing a basic write barrier infrastructure
Help the project
If you are interested, don't hesitate to contact me via the issues tab or alexandre_mutel at live.com