Tools for examining Apple's Metal shaders.
- unmetallib.py: extracts .metallib files to .air files.
- sampleshader/: contains:
- a Metal shader from Apple's HelloTriangle project
- the compiled metallib using Xcode 9.3's metal compiler
- the .air files recompiled to x86_64 and arm64 assembly using LLVM 6.0.0 to show that Metal shaders are valid LLVM Bitcode and can be processed using normal LLVM tools.
Other Metal projects you might find useful
- https://github.com/gzorin/LLAIR - wrapper around Metal compiler to make examining bitcode easier
- https://github.com/a2flo/floor - C++ to Metal compiler with patched LLVM to generate .air files
My code (unmetallib.py, sampleshader/*.sh) is under the MIT license.
sampleshader/AAPLShaders.metal and sampleshader/AAPLShaderTypes.h are taken from Apple's HelloTriangle project. Their license can be found in sampleshader/AAPLShaders_LICENSE.txt (also MIT license)