CubeViz - THE RDF DATACUBE BROWSER
CubeViz is an OntoWiki component providing faceted browsing in statistical data in the Linked Data Web. It was set up and adopted to be part of the Data Portal of the European Union. CubeViz utilizing the RDF DataCube vocabulary which is the state-of-the-art in representing statistical data in Resource Description Framework (RDF). This vocabulary is compatible with SDMX (User Guide) and increasingly being adopted. Based on the vocabulary and the encoded Data Cube, CubeViz is generating a facetted browsing widget that can be used to filter interactively observations to be visualized in charts. Based on the selected structure, CubeViz offer beneficiary chart types and options which can be selected by users.
Do you want to read further information about the project and its background, please have a look into about page.
Further information about the repository structure or other internals can be also found in the Wiki.
Docker container available
We providing a Docker container for everybody, who don't want to bother about getting OntoWiki running or struggles with Virtuoso. That container only needs a Docker and can be used with
docker pull +
docker run. How easy is that?!
Basically it ships with a fully fledged OntoWiki, pre-filled Virtuoso store and up and running CubeViz. After you started the container, you can use your browser and directly use CubeViz.
To pull the container just run:
docker pull aksw/dld-present-cubeviz
To run it, please use:
docker run -d -p 8080:80 -p 8890:8890 aksw/dld-present-cubeviz
For further information, please look in following the project page.
Project page: Dockerizing/CubeViz
CubeViz compared to other tools
(Last updated 2015-11-30)
We created a comparison of CubeViz and other tools, which are supporting DataCube vocabulary. It is based on the support of elements which are mentioned in the vocabulary. The purpose of that overview is to provide users, who are interested in using CubeViz, further information of its DataCube vocabulary support in comparison to other tools.
If you encounter erros or wanna mention something, please make a pull request, create an issue or send us an email.
(✓) - Similar like CubeViz but not equivalent
|Supported Features||CubeViz||OpenCube||LDCX||LSD Analysis|
|Explore RDF Data|
|Select parts of the Dataset||✓||✓||✓||(✓)|
|Select Units and Measurements||✓||✓||✓||(✓)|
|Multiple Chart Visualization||✓||(✓)||-||-|
|Collaborative Exploration/Edit||✓||-||-||✓ (Explore)|
|Compare Meta Information||✓||-||-||-|
|Observation Values Normalization||✓||-||-||-|
|Set Dimension Elements||✓||-||-||-|
|Download as CSV||✓||✓||-||✓|
|Download as Turtle||✓||-||-||-|
|OLAP Operations (Sum, Avg, Pivot)||-||✓||-||-|
|Analysis Task (R Script)||-||✓||-||✓ (Server-Side)|
|Geospatial Data Visualization||-||✓||-||-|
|Visualizations with dimensions >2||-||-||-||-|
Links to the mentioned tools
Missing support of the Data Cube vocabulary
The following list contains all elements of the DataCube vocabulary which are not supported by CubeViz (yet):
- qb:ObservationGroup: Indicates a group of observations. The domain of this property is left open so that a group may be attached to different resources and need not be restricted to a single DataSet.
- qb:CodedProperty: Superclass of all coded component properties.
- qb:HierarchicalCodeList: Represents a generalized hierarchy of concepts which can be used for coding. The hierarchy is defined by one or more roots together with a property which relates concepts in the hierarchy to their child concept . The same concepts may be members of multiple hierarchies provided that different qb:parentChildProperty values are used for each hierarchy.
- qb:hierarchyRoot: Specifies a root of the hierarchy. A hierarchy may have multiple roots but must have at least one.
- qb:parentChildProperty: Specifies a property which relates a parent concept in the hierarchy to a child concept. Note that a child may have more than one parent.
- qb:componentAttachment: Indicates the level at which the component property should be attached, this might be an qb:DataSet, qb:Slice or qb:Observation, or a qb:MeasureProperty.
- qb:componentRequired: Indicates whether a component property is required (true) or optional (false) in the context of a DSD. Only applicable to components corresponding to an attribute. Defaults to false (optional).
- qb:order: Indicates a priority order for the components of sets with this structure, used to guide presentations - lower order numbers come before higher numbers, un-numbered components come last.
- qb:concept: Gives the concept which is being measured or indicated by a ComponentProperty.
- SKOS or SDMX related entities.
CubeViz is licensed under the terms of GNU General Public License 2 and it uses foreign libraries. For further details have a look in here.