Using Open Build Service
Clone this wiki locally
Short link to this page: https://git.io/obs-ai
This page descibes how to use Open Build Service, particularly openSUSE Build Service, to generate AppImage bundles. An AppImage contains an application and everything it needs to run on various target systems (distributions) that cannot reasonably be expected to come in a recent enough version as part of the default installation of those target systems.
This page is about using Open Build Service to generate AppImages.
OBS support for AppImages was officially announced at the openSUSE Conference 2017 (talk, slides). AppImages can be built successfully on the public openSUSE Build Service (examples). You are encouraged to try to build AppImages for your own packages using this guide. Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and experiences with us via IRC. In case you encounter problems, please report an issue, and we'll try to verify and fix it.
Content moved to https://docs.appimage.org/packaging-guide/hosted-services/opensuse-build-service.html
- Fix that zsync files on OBS have a different sha1sum than the AppImage (due to being signed after the fact)
- When the dependencies for packages from an
ingredients:section are resolved, we should show the dependency tree in the log file similar to https://travis-ci.org/probonopd/AppImages/builds/236117828#L898-L991 shows for debs - this would greatly help to understand what gets pulled into the AppDir and why
- Show AppImage downloads on pages like https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=isv%3AownCloud%3Atestpilot%3Anightly&package=testpilotcloud-client with an icon (icon can be obtained from here)
- When the dependencies for RPM packages from an
ingredients:section are resolved, the
exclude:key should be observed (i.e., not only uninstall the packages listed there but assume them to be installed prior to the dependency resolution)
- Set MIME types for
*.AppImageto octet-stream or something like that on http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/probono/AppImage/ so that the browser doesn't try to display it?
- Fix FUSE setup on Tumbleweed and Tumbleweed Live ISOs so that it works out of the box - https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1041159. Can we get a test case for it in openQA?
- Get the optional
appimageddaemon into Tumbleweed (e.g., based on https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/OBS:AppImage/appimaged or the work of marguerite) for a polished out-of-the-box AppImage experience
- Get distributions/desktop environments to handle ELF files that don't have the executable bit set more cleverly when double-clicked (currently they are opened in the text editor on the archiver tool or a completely useless message appears)
- Refine excludesuselist so that basic libraries and binaries do not end up getting bundled when re-packing rpms as AppImages
- How to use linuxdeployqt on already-available RPMs? https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:probono/Vokoscreen currently fails
- Fix zsync_curl (used for AppImageUpdate binary delta updates) to play nicely with download.opensuse.org and its mirrors
- Build a minimal desktop Live ISO that has only a text editor and a browser but otherwise no applications installed, but has a working
appimagedout-of-the-box. E.g., based on openSUSE LEAP or possibly openSUSE Argon which combines LEAP with recent KDE Neon (if it proves usable). Beginnings at https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:probono:branches:KDE:Medias/openSUSE-Argon
- The generated AppImages could be tested automatically to run on various target systems (e.g., the oldest still-supported LTS versions of the major distributions)
- For AppImages released on OBS by the original application author or group (i.e., "upstream builds"), metadata about successfully built AppImages could be pushed to openDesktop.org, so that they would appear on sites like https://www.linux-appimages.org and https://www.linux-apps.com automatically
- Remove the need to upload a (pointless, as in no additional information)
- Make rpm-to-AppImage easier by removing the need for the FIXMEs in https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/home:probono/VLC/appimage.yml?expand=1
- Find a way to automate the conversion to AppImage of all Tumbleweed source packages that are built against LEAP as well
- https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/issues/3279 appimage.yml fails when no build: packages: key is present
- https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/issues/3280 "latest" zsnyc symlink does not get correct name
- https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/issues/3281 files get named wrongly
- https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/issues/3302 provide download page
- Presentation by Andi Sugandi https://github.com/andisugandi/openSUSE-Asia-Summit-2017/tree/master/Slides
- klik support in openSUSE? Mon, 31 Jul 2006 https://firstname.lastname@example.org/msg03105.html
Short link to this page: https://git.io/obs-ai