Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Resources and Links
Computational Law: DataVR Module
- Course Description: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1reljPcEXQR1CSgwPci0iwTRM7o9CDqnBJIpsKA8hxRY/pub
Below is an informal running collection of potentially relevant links for the upcoming January 2017 MIT/IAP Computational Law Course module on DataVR
VR for Data Exploration
INTRO: https://aframe.io/docs/0.3.0/introduction -- A-Frame is an open-source WebVR framework for creating virtual reality (VR) experiences with HTML. We can build VR scenes that work across smartphones, desktop, the Oculus Rift, and the room-scale HTC Vive.
GITHUB: https://github.com/aframevr/aframe/ A web framework for building virtual reality experiences.
AWESOME-AFRAME: Listings of Awesome A-Frame Things: https://github.com/aframevr/awesome-aframe -- awesome-aframe Awesome: A collection of awesome things regarding A-Frame, a web framework for building virtual reality (VR) experiences.
Example with VR DOM:
- Complex: https://threejs.org/ (The underlying JS framework powering A-Frame)
Background and Reference Resources:
Monitor These Google Searches:
Relevant Journal and Conference Articles
Relevant Trade Press and Popular Articles:
Earliest Good Example I Could Find:
VR & AR in Learning and Collaboration Environments
Hacks and Apps for Data-Driven Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality Experiential Learning Contexts and Use Cases
Below is a largely uncurated, informal running list of links to examples, reviews, tools, scholarly articles and other relevant resources and materials
Education Applications in Reality Technology (MR, AR, VR)
5 Top Augmented Reality Apps for Education - Hongkiat
How to Transform Your Classroom With Augmented Reality | EdSurge News
What is “Augmented Reality”?
How can I start using AR in my classroom?
And why exactly should I start doing this? It sounds like a lot of work.
What are the best AR apps and resources out there?
- Popar Toys: This catalog of AR resources changes the way children read books, look at posters, or complete puzzles. (Basically, everything is an animated picture!) Enjoy their interactive books on Planets, Bugs, Dinosaurs, Safari, and Sea Life, or perhaps the interactive charts on Human Anatomy, Periodic Tables, World Maps, The Solar System and US Presidents.
- Daqri: One of the leading augmented reality developers, Daqri is the creator of Daqri Studio--a truly creative tool for designing your own Augmented Reality projects. Science teachers, check out Anatomy 4D (which allows you to view 3-D images of the human body, and heart) and Elements 4D (which enhances a chemistry classroom by bringing the periodic table to life).
- Quiver (formerly Colar) App: Quiver has different coloring pages from every subject area. When partnered with the app, the coloring pages come to life and have animated actions. For instance, students can create their own flag, and tie it to science and weather by controlling the wind. Or, check out a world map that shows day and night views of the world when activated with the app.
- Chromville: Chromville’s science-based coloring pages ignite creativity in children through art, technology, and the eight multiple intelligences. The Chromville Visual App uses its characters to promote storytelling and features a classroom component that has coloring pages explaining the likes of the human body and parts of plant.
- Fetch Lunch Rush: This fun PBS kids game app uses printable cards as augmented reality game pieces. In the game, kids help Ruff the Dog feed sushi to a movie crew by solving the math problems. Each game piece is a trigger image that comes to life when scanned.
- STAR Augmented Reality Worksheets: With these interactive materials, the worksheet comes alive and transposes 3-dimensional models and video resources to reinforce content.
- AugThat: Developed by a former teacher, AugThat creates augmented reality content for classrooms, specifically targeting students that fall through the cracks and aren’t engaged. They create animated lessons in a variety of formats, including 360-degree virtual environments and 3-dimensional experiences.
- Two Guys and Some iPads: These sought-after keynote speakers and Augmented Reality gurus share various ways to incorporate Augmented Reality into the classroom and give practical examples of simple ways that teachers around the world are using AR.
6 Outstanding Augmented Reality Apps for Science Teachers ~ Educational Technology and Mobile Learning
- 1 Anatomy 4D:‘Through this free app and a simple printed image, Anatomy 4D transports students, teachers, medical professionals, and anyone who wants to learn about the body into an interactive 4D experience of human anatomy. Visually stunning and completely interactive, Anatomy 4D uses augmented reality and other cutting edge technologies to create the perfect vehicle for 21st century education.’
- 2 Science AR:‘Science AR is the Augmented Reality App for schools. Makes the Science AR posters come alive. This App works in conjunction with the Science AR posters. Not in isolation.’
- 3 Zoo-AR: ‘Zoo-AR is an Augmented Reality application with a variety of animals and insects available for viewing in 3D. Simply download the correct markers and either print them out or view them on another device.’
- 4 Elements 4D: ‘Part educational story and part game, the Elements 4D app offers a new, fun way to experience augmented reality and learn about real-life chemistry.’
- 5 SkyView: ‘SkyView® brings stargazing to everyone. Simply point your iPhone, iPad, or iPod at the sky to identify stars, constellations, planets, satellites, and more!’
- 6 Spacecraft 3D: ‘NASA's Spacecraft 3D is an augmented reality (AR) application that lets you learn about and interact with a variety of spacecraft that are used to explore our solar system, study Earth, and observe the universe. Using a printed AR Target and the camera on your mobile device, you can get up close with these robotic explorers, see how they move, and learn about the engineering feats used to expand our knowledge and understanding of space.’
- 2014 educatorstechnology.com article from on same topic:
- The Best Augmented Reality Apps for Teachers ~ Educational Technology and Mobile Learning
Augmented Reality for Education - Augment
9 Amazing Augmented Reality Apps for Teaching and Learning — Emerging Education Technologies
- AR Flashcards – Alphabet (Free): App to help students learn the alphabet
- AR Flashcards – Shapes & Colors (Free): App to help students learn colors and shapes.
- Chromville (Free): Educational app using the eight multiple intelligences. Students color their characters and then they come to life with the Visual Arts app.
- Barcy (Free): From the creators of Chromville comes Barcy, an AR app that explores water life and the water use.
- Chromville Science ($4.99): Chromville Science joins art, technology, science and the eight Multiple Intelligences, promoting the development of kid’s creativity and their motivation for the learning process according to their needs and preferences.
- Elements 4D (Free): AR Chemistry app that brings the elements to life. It includes lesson plans for all levels: elementary, intermediate, and high school.
- Anatomy 4D (Free): Bring the human body to life with this AR app. Have students learn about the different systems and human anatomy with this app.
- Arloon Geometry ($2.99): An amazing way to learn geometry! This app features 3D models with AR for most geometric shapes. By directly interacting with the figures, your students will improve their spatial visualization.
- Arloon Mental Math ($2.99): Fun way for students to practice addition and subtraction without using paper.
- Here are links where you can find more information about these apps:
3 Free Virtual and Augmented Reality Apps for the Classroom | MindShift | KQED News
This Mixed Reality Educational App Gives You X-Ray Goggles and Takes You Into the Human Body - UploadVR
Virtual Reality for Education
Developing Mixed Reality Educational Applications: The Virtual Touch Toolkit. - PubMed - NCBI
Mixed Reality @ Education: Multimedia Applications in Education Conference
"ABSTRACT: Augmented reality is a new way that augments virtual and artificial objects on the real environment. The aim of this paper is to show the integration of this technology in the education. Can we improve our lessons by using this technology or is it only a hype and consequently worthless for us? Different examples using the AR approach will be presented. Finally, we show the advantages and disadvantages of this technology"
Developing Mixed Reality Educational Applications: The Virtual Touch Toolkit
[NOTE: This is an open access journal article]
The Top 10 Companies Working on Education in Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality | Touchstone Research
ISTE | Reality revisited: Getting started with virtual reality in your classroom
360° & VR for Education
Augmented and Virtual Reality - Kathy Schrock's Guide to Everything
Using AR & VR For Education: An Interview with Kathy Schrock
Five Easy Steps to Teach With Virtual Reality Now | EdSurge News
Nearpod - Take your students on a virtual reality adventure
April 2016: Virtual Reality in the Classroom | Discovery Education
Is VR Coming to a Classroom Near You? | the Learning Counsel
10+ virtual reality apps transforming education
The best educational VR apps for the Google Cardboard
Top Educational Virtual Reality Apps
7 Top Gear VR and Cardboard Educational Apps
32 Augmented Reality Apps for the Classroom
Google Cardboard for Educators – Science Beyond the Boundaries
10 of the best virtual reality apps for your smartphone | Technology | The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/13/best-virtual-reality-apps-smartphone-iphone-android-vr
6 Exciting AR Apps for Student Learning | Edutopia
32 Augmented Reality Apps for the Classroom
Long Running List or Links/Resources That MIGHT Be USEFUL
Developer Center | Oculus https://developer.oculus.com/webvr/
DNGros/dataVR: A VR tool for visualizing data https://github.com/DNGros/dataVR
Data VR (San Francisco, CA) | Meetup https://www.meetup.com/Data-VR/
data VR | VR Journalism | USC Annenberg project http://www.vrjournalism.io/tag/data-vr/
The Wellcome Trust and Epic Games Launch the Big Data VR Challenge https://www.unrealengine.com/news/wellcome-trust-epic-games-launch-ue4-big-data-vr-challenge
'Big Data VR Challenge' $20,000 Grand Prize Winner Revealed by Epic Games and Wellcome Trust - Road to VR http://www.roadtovr.com/big-data-vr-challenge-20000-grand-prize-winner-revealed-epic-games-wellcome-trust/
DataVR | Devpost https://devpost.com/software/datavr
Raw Data VR Gameplay - HTC Vive VR FPS Tower Defence - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua5XC0AyqBw
RAW DATA VR GAMEPLAY - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOshEB0l8K8
Epic Games and Wellcome Trust Reveal $20,000 Big Data VR Challenge Winner https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/epic-games-and-wellcome-trust-reveal-20000-big-data-vr-challenge-winner
The Big Data VR Challenge | VRFocus https://www.vrfocus.com/tag/the-big-data-vr-challenge/
Big Data VR Challenge winner LumaPie uses VR to visualise research for scientists https://www.wareable.com/saves-the-day/big-data-vr-challenge-winner-lumapie-vr-research-studies-1408
Raw Data - VR Action Combat Gameplay - GameSpot http://www.gamespot.com/videos/raw-data-vr-action-combat-gameplay/2300-6433584/
Home - Raw Data Game https://survios.com/rawdata/
LumaPie Won The Big Data VR Challenge By Epic Games & Wellcome Trust https://virtualrealityreporter.com/lumapie-won-20000prize-the-big-data-vr-challenge-by-epic-games-wellcome-trust/
Raw Data, VR First Hit Game, Sells Over $1M | VRROOM http://www.vrroom.buzz/vr-news/business/raw-data-vr-first-hit-game-sells-over-1m
MasterFlux - Tech Data - VR http://www.masterflux.com/tech/vr.php
How VR can be used to unravel the complexities of big data - VR Tech http://www.virtualreality-news.net/news/2016/sep/20/how-vr-can-be-used-unravel-complexities-big-data/
Raw Data VR - The Best VR Game So Far - Cramgaming.com http://cramgaming.com/raw-data-vr-best-vr-game-far-31969/
Super data vr summit seoul presentation_6202016 http://www.slideshare.net/RMEvents/super-data-vr-summit-seoul-presentation6202016
Robots, Meta data, VR, Aztalan, Rock Lake : Truth Frequency Radio http://truthfrequencyradio.com/the-american-intelligence-report-with-kristan-harris-65186/
Raw Data review | Raw Data VR game for HTC VIVE | VR http://therealitysandwich.com/raw-data-vr-review/
(499) Big Data VR Challenge – Winners! | MASTERS OF PIE (Wellcome Trust) | Virtual reality - VR | Pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/pin/189291990566013674/
Big Data VR app allows researchers to 'browse' genomes https://www.engadget.com/2015/08/06/big-data-vr-app-allows-researchers-to-browse-genomes/
'Big Data VR Challenge' Winners Announced - Dataconomy http://dataconomy.com/2015/07/big-data-vr-challenge-winners-announced/
What Concerts Look Like When You Add Data, VR & Bionic Hearing | Nathaniel Whittemore | Pulse | LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-concerts-look-like-when-you-add-data-vr-bionic-whittemore
Big Data VR Challenge - Part 2 - Develop conference, Brighton http://lumacode.com/articles/big-data-vr-challenge-part2.html
State by State Guide to Lobbying Data — VR Research - Public Records Research | Opposition Research http://www.vrresearch.com/blog/2016/3/7/state-by-state-guide-to-lobbying-data
Can Virtual Reality Rescue Big Data? – Virtual Reality Developer https://vrdeveloper.org/2015/12/07/can-virtual-reality-rescue-big-data/
NTT DATA to Launch Virtual Reality Baseball Coaching System Developed in Collaboration with Rakuten Baseball, Inc. | NTT DATA Global http://www.nttdata.com/global/en/news-center/pressrelease/2016/091400.html
Opaque Media Group http://www.opaque.media/#home
Virtual reality helps make sense of complex scientific data http://phys.org/news/2015-07-virtual-reality-complex-scientific.html