This theme is designed to display a full screen image for every system that best defined it (or as best as possible) avoiding using in game footage. Most of these systems will have a custom music and a custom rating icon that match that game. It is based on recabox-next theme so you'll get all advantages of it (region settings, game list layout settings, etc..) + several options so you can get a visual that suits you.
Theme is compatible with Recalbox 6.1+ and with 16:9 and 4:3 screens.
Here are some screenshots using different theme settings:
To install theme drag and drop next-pixel folder into your recalbox/themes folder. Then choose next-pixel theme from recalbox options (UI SETTINGS > THEME SET).
This theme support Randomizer script, check this link to get more info (Warning: from installation guide "Copying theme/random directory..." is not required as this theme already includes it).
- COLORSET : choose between several color configurations light, dark or game accent, game accent will colorize some elements using a color matching actual system image, some configuration may mix light, dark and game accent, try them out to find the best for you.
- ICONSET : choose icons used for bottom left help (same as recalbox-next).
- SYSTEMVIEW : choose beetwen vertical wheel or horizontal system view, for each one you have 3 options to display system info (4 lines info, all lines info or no info), when using vertical wheel please use UI SETTINGS > TRANSITION STYLE > INSTANT for a better look and feel.
- GAMELISTVIEW : choose gamelist view layout, you may show/hide different elements.
- REGION : choose your region to adjust logo/console images (same as recalbox-next).
Multiple game themes
Some systems may contain several game themes, in that case system folder is duplicated with "_2", "_3", "_x" suffix [folder]_2, [folder]_3, [folder]_x (for example cavestory_2), if you prefer medias in that folder just remove or rename original folder so you can next rename [folder]_x to [folder] (then you need to restart recalbox if it was running). Actual systems with multiple game themes :
- atarist : 1 game theme with 2 different images available
- cavestory : 1 game theme with 2 different images available
- gameboy : 3 different game themes available
- lynx : 2 different game themes available
- megadrive : 2 different game themes available
- ports : 2 different game themes available (1 with 2 different images available)
- n64 : 4 different game themes available
- nds : 2 different game themes available
- nes : 2 different game themes available
- ps3 : 2 different game themes available
- psp : 2 different game themes available
- psx : 2 different game themes available
- segacd : 2 different game themes available
- snes : 3 different game themes available
- wii : 2 different game themes available
Move a game theme to another system
Sometimes a game theme could match different systems and you may want to use a game theme with another system. To properly move a game theme to another system copy all files from any system folder BUT data folder and past them into another system folder where you want to apply that game theme.
- This theme use pictures/musics found over internet, if you think any images/musics used in this theme are your ownership or is subject to copyright please contact me (contact[at]samystudio.net), I'll remove them.
- Theme is based on recabox-next theme so some assets may be licensed by recalbox, recalbox license always prevail for these assets (so this theme MIT license is only applicable for xml files).
- Camera and some game info icons are from shareicon.
- Digital Counter 7 font used for game counter icon is from Sizenko Alexander (http://www.styleseven.com).
- Random support is from Voljega (https://github.com/Voljega/scripts4recalbox).
Several packages are available depending on your screen ratio and resolution. Actually theme fully supports 16:9 and 4:3 screens.
3 packages are available with 1080p images (full hd screens, 4K, 8K), 720p images (hd screens) or 480p images (intended for Raspberry users).
If you are a Raspberry Pi user please read carefully next lines (PC/Odroid users can skip to download links and grab package that match best their screen resolution). Raspberry Pi may lead to memory issues when using a lot of images. 720p package is the right way to go even if you're on a big screen tv 1080p/4K/8K. I highly recommend to force recalbox to run at 720p if your screen is running higher resolution, as it will improve performances and images quality. To do so you'll have to edit config.txt, from this file search for hdmi_group and hdmi_mode and set both as following:
Don't forget to remove '#' char on those lines if present.
If you still have issues with 720p (mainly images replaced with white rectangle) and you already have forced recalbox to run at 720p you may try to allocate more gpu memory. Edit the same config.txt file, this time search for gpu_mem_1024=448 and set it to gpu_mem_1024=512.
Warning: PSP emulator may not work anymore, so if you're not using PSP system this shouldn't be a problem.
If you don't want to change memory settings or you're using PSP system then you should switch to 480p package, images quality will be less sharp but you should be able to use lots of systems without issues.
2 packages are available with 1024x768 images and 320x240 images, if you're using a screen with higher resolution than 320x240 pick crt package, if you're using 320x240 or lower screen pick crt-small package. If you're using 1024x768 package with a screen with higher resolution than 1024x768, I highly recommend to force recalbox to run at the same resolution as it will improve performances and images quality. To do so you'll have to edit config.txt, from this file search for hdmi_group and hdmi_mode and set both as following:
Don't forget to remove '#' char on those lines if present.
Contribute / Report issues
Project is hosted on Github.
I'm all ears to any suggestions or to add alternative game image/music, don't be shy.
Copyright (c) 2018 mYSt
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.