Aseprite is a program to create animated sprites. Its main features are:
- Sprites are composed of layers & frames as separated concepts.
- Support for color profiles and different color modes: RGBA, Indexed (palettes up to 256 colors), Grayscale.
- Animation facilities, with real-time preview and onion skinning.
- Export/import animations to/from sprite sheets, GIF files, or sequence of PNG files (and FLC, FLI, JPG, BMP, PCX, TGA).
- Multiple editors support.
- Layer groups for organizing your work, and reference layers for rotoscoping.
- Pixel-art specific tools like Pixel Perfect freehand mode, Shading ink, Custom Brushes, Outlines, Wide Pixels, etc.
- Other special drawing tools like Pressure sensitivity, Symmetry Tool, Stroke and Fill selection, Gradients.
- Tiled mode useful to draw patterns and textures.
- Transform multiple frames/layers at the same time.
- Lua scripting capabilities.
- CLI - Command Line Interface to automatize tasks.
- Quick Reference / Cheat Sheet keyboard shortcuts (customizable keys and mouse wheel).
- Reopen closed files and recover data in case of crash.
- Undo/Redo for every operation and support for non-linear undo.
- More features & tips
There is a list of Known Issues (things to be fixed or that aren't yet implemented).
If you found a bug or have a new idea/feature for the program, you can report them.
You can ask for help in:
- Aseprite Community
- Aseprite Discord Server
- Official support: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social networks and community-driven places: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram.
Aseprite is being developed by Igara Studio:
The default Aseprite theme was introduced in v0.8, created by:
Aseprite includes color palettes created by:
- Richard "DawnBringer" Fhager, 16 colors, 32 colors.
- Arne Niklas Jansson, 16 colors, 32 colors.
- ENDESGA Studios, EDG16 and EDG32, and other palettes.
- Hyohnoo Games, mail24 palette.
- Davit Masia, matriax8c palette.
- Javier Guerrero, nyx8 palette.
- Adigun A. Polack, AAP-64, AAP-Splendor128, SimpleJPC-16, and AAP-Micro12 palette.
- PineTreePizza, Rosy-42 palette.
It tries to replicate some pixel-art algorithms:
This program is distributed under three different licenses:
- Source code and official releases/binaries are distributed under our End-User License Agreement for Aseprite (EULA). Please check that there are modules/libraries in the source code that are distributed under the MIT license (e.g. laf, clip, undo, observable, ui, etc.).
- You can request a special educational license in case you are a teacher in an educational institution and want to use Aseprite in your classroom (in-situ).
- Steam releases are distributed under the terms of the Steam Subscriber Agreement.
You can get more information about Aseprite license in the FAQ.