Copyright (C) 2001-2018 David Capello
Aseprite is a program to create animated sprites. Its main features are:
- Sprites are composed by layers & frames (as separated concepts).
- Supported color modes: RGBA, Indexed (palettes up to 256 colors), and Grayscale.
- Load/save sequence of PNG files and GIF animations (and FLC, FLI, JPG, BMP, PCX, TGA).
- Export/import animations to/from Sprite Sheets.
- Tiled drawing mode, useful to draw patterns and textures.
- Undo/Redo for every operation.
- Real-time animation preview.
- Multiple editors support.
- Pixel-art specific tools like filled Contour, Polygon, Shading mode, etc.
- Onion skinning
There is a list of Known Issues (things to be fixed or that aren't yet implemented).
If you found a bug or have a new idea/feature for the program, you can report them.
You can ask for help in:
- Aseprite Community
- Aseprite Discord Server
- Official support: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social networks and community-driven places: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google+, IRC, DeviantArt.
- David Capello: Lead developer, bug fixing, new features, designer, and maintainer.
- Gaspar Capello: Developer, bug fixing.
The default Aseprite theme was introduced in v0.8, created by:
Aseprite includes color palettes created by:
- Richard "DawnBringer" Fhager, 16 colors, 32 colors.
- Arne Niklas Jansson, 16 colors, 32 colors.
- ENDESGA Studios, EDG16 and EDG32, and other palettes
- Hyohnoo Games, mail24 palette.
- Davit Masia, matriax8c palette.
- Javier Guerrero, nyx8 palette.
- Adigun A. Polack, AAP-64, AAP-Splendor128, SimpleJPC-16, and AAP-Micro12 palette.
- PineTreePizza, Rosy-42 palette
It tries to replicate some pixel-art algorithms:
This program is distributed under three different licenses:
- Source code and official releases/binaries are distributed under our End-User License Agreement for Aseprite (EULA). Please check that there are modules/libraries in the source code that are distributed under the MIT license (e.g. laf, clip, she, gfx, ui, etc.).
- You can request a special educational license in case you are a teacher in an educational institution and want to use Aseprite in your classroom (in-situ).
- Steam releases are distributed under the terms of the Steam Subscriber Agreement.
You can get more information about Aseprite license in the FAQ.