A tool for connecting those in need to services or materials that improve their quality of life.
Click to read more
"Community Connect" is a health resource web application that aims to consolidate information about businesses and organization available in communities that promote healthy lifestyle choices. A health resource is defined as services or materials that improve the quality of life of others, ranging from affordable child care, substance abuse counseling, domestic violence support, and more. We are working in conjunction with Massachusetts General Hospital's Center for Community Health Improvement, MGH Revere HealthCare Center, and Revere CARES Coalition to create an extensive database in our pilot region of Revere, Chelsea, Charlestown, and eventually the Greater Boston Area.
Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- Getting Started
- Dynamically updated resources from any Google Sheet
- Save resources for viewing later
- Share a link with your saved resources
- Filter resources by category or search term
Want to see what Community Connect is all about? Check out our live site for Revere at ccfor.me/
revere. To manage resources, enter the 'admin' view by adding
/admin to the end of the URL, such as ccfor.me/
- Clone the repository
- Install yarn
- Install dependencies by running
- Start the development server by running
localhost:3000in your browser to see it running!
Customizing Google Sheet
You can use a custom Google Sheet with your local installation of Community Connect. You might want to do this for testing or development purposes. Prefer to see a gif of this process instead of reading steps? Click here
Click to see instructions for creating your own sheet
- Visit the current spreadsheet
- Click File and select Make a Copy
- Click OK
- When viewing your copy, click SHARE in the upper-right hand corner.
- Click "Get shareable link" in the upper-right hand corner of the modal.
- Ensure that "Anyone with the link can view" is selected.
- Copy link
- Click done
- Click File and select "Publish to the web"
- Click Publish
- Open "src/googlesheetApi.js" in the codebase
- Replace "revere_key" with a portion of the URL in your clipboard
For Example, if the URL of your Google Spreadsheet is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FRd8Jw7y4CnnHCKIvkM-pjNjRVFHFHuobVU-ajXre6M/edit?usp=sharing
Set the build-time environment variable REACT_APP_GOOGLE_SHEETS_ID to "1FRd8Jw7y4CnnHCKIvkM-pjNjRVFHFHuobVU-ajXre6M"
Thank you for your willingness to help out! To get started on helping build Community Connect, take a look at our contribution guide.
The original architectural design for this app was designed proven out by Bob Breznak for an organization assisting with the refugee crisis in Greece in 2016, Prosper. They needed help consolidating, vetting and displaying resources on the web. In May 2018 he re-wrote the frontend in react.js to create an app that assists homeless people Seeking Shelter and resources. In August 2018 Code for Boston’s Community Connect project had similar aims and the repo was moved into their org. The data used for this project was initially collected from Nevil Desai during his internship with Revere CARES, a coalition group under the umbrella of MGH Center for Community Health Improvement.