The Electric Book Jekyll template
A Jekyll template for creating books in multiple formats:
- print PDFs for high-end book publishing
- screen PDFs for reading on screen
- a website of books
- epubs for ebook distribution
- ebook apps for Android and iOS
- MS Word outputs for old-school editing.
Usage and documentation
- Copy or clone this folder
- Edit as needed:
- the stylesheet variables in
- the content files in
- Run the
run-script for your operating system.
Read the guide for much more. The guide is also an example of the template in action.
To use the Electric Book template on your machine, you need to have installed:
- Jekyll (and which requires Ruby and Bundler)
- PrinceXML (for PDF output; the only proprietary requirement)
- PhantomJS (if your books include maths in LaTeX/MathJax, and to generate search indexes for web and app outputs)
- Node.js, Gulp and GraphicsMagick (to create multiformat images)
- Pandoc (for Word export)
- Cordova, Android Studio, and (on OSX) XCode (for building ebook apps)