eZ Platform Kernel / eZ Publish 5.x Platform Kernel
Welcome to the eZ Platform Kernel (also known as eZ Publish 5.x Platform Kernel), the hearth of eZ Platform, a modern CMS built on top of Symfony (Full Stack) Framework. Containing an advance Content Model it allows you to structure any kind of content, or content-like data in a future-proof Content Repository. It furthermore aims to provide additional features for the MVC layer (Symfony), to increase your productivity.
This code repository contains several layers of API's and implementation of them. Kernel refers to this being the core, and not the Full Stack with bundles, user interfaces and installers all configured to make a complete application.
In other words this repo is for core development, for fixes, features and documentation of the Platform kernel itself.
eZ Platform is a bottom up rewrite of eZ Publish, so a conservative approach was taken on backwards compatibility by first introducing it in 2012 as eZ Publish Platform 5.0, which bundled a Legacy ("4.x") Stack & a Platform (formerly 5.x, or "new") Stack together. Starting 2015 with eZ Platform this is no longer the case, the Platform has matured to become its own modern, self sufficient CMS/CMF, and can be used to solve your needs without having to also deal with Legacy.
Getting a full install (Full Stack)
Reflecting what is described above there are several options to get a full install of this Kernel, see:
- eZ Platform: For the new eZ Platform install.
- eZ Studio: Coming soon A commercial product extending eZ Platform to provide features and services aimed at Editors, Editorial teams and larger organizations.
- eZ Publish 5.x: If you are upgrading from eZ Publish 4.x or 5.x and still require legacy functionality.
Overview of the Kernel
eZ Platform is aimed at being a set of reusable components, with a mix of decoupled and specific bundles putting it all together. From a high level point of view, it contains a Front End / UI Layer, Mid/MVC layer and a Backend, all layers containing further sub-layers consisting of smaller components.
This repository contains the main parts of the MVC and Backend layers, with underlying components planned to be provided as separate (sub-tree split) packages for re-usability.
In the doc folder you'll find Specifications for most features, including the REST API.
- eZ/Bundle is where you'll find bundles are that are important to expose the functionality of the Backend and MVC layer to Symfony.
- eZ/Publish/Core/MVC contains the parts that will make up the different components extending Symfony.
- eZ/Publish/Core/Pagination component extending PagerFanta for pagination of eZ Platform search queries.
- eZ/Publish/Core/REST component providing REST server and prototype of a REST Client.
- eZ/Publish/API is where you'll find the definition of the stable interfaces for the PHP Public API, mainly Content Repository API.
- eZ/Publish/SPI SPI's are Service Provider Interfaces, not yet frozen.
- eZ/Publish/Core is where you'll find implementations of both API and SPI's; the naming aims to map to name of interface they implement, example Search/.
How to run tests
- PHP 5 Modules: php5_intl php5_xsl php5_gd php5_sqlite
- Database: sqlite3
You can also run tests (slower) on mysql or postgres, see .travis.yml for how.
- Clone this repo
git clone https://github.com/ezsystems/ezpublish-kernel.git
- Enter directory
- Get Composer using curl
curl -s http://getcomposer.org/installer | php
- Install dev dependencies:
php composer.phar install --prefer-dist --dev
php vendor/bin/phpunit -vc phpunit*.xmlwith one of the phpunit configuration files, mainly:
- phpunit.xml unit test xml configuration, default one if -c is omitted from the phpunit command.
- phpunit-integration-legacy.xml integration test xml configuration for running integration tests with Legacy Storage engine
Submitting bugs, improvements and stories is possible on https://jira.ez.no/browse/EZP. If you discover a security issue, please see how to responsibly report such issues on https://doc.ez.no/Security.
eZ Publish 5.x is a fully open source, community-driven project, and code contributions are simply done via github pull requests.
- Remember to first create an issue in our issue tracker and refer to it in commits and pull requests headers, example: "Fix EZP-20104: ContentController should return error status when content is not found" or "Implement EZP-201xx: Add support for X in Y"
- If you want to contribute implementation specification proposals, place them in doc/ folder.
- Keep different changes in different commits in case cherry-pick is preferred instead of a merge later.
- A Pull Request should only cover one issue.
- A commit should not contain code changes at the same time as doing coding standards/whitespace/typo fixes.
- TDD: Write/Change the test(s) for the change you do and commit it before you do the actual code change.
- If a bug affects Public API, write or enhance a integration test to make sure the bug is covered.
- Unit tests should only use mocks/stubs and never test the full stack like integrations tests do.
- Please test/check your commits before pushing even if we have automated checks in place on pull requests:
- Run unit tests and integration test before commits
- Make sure you follow our coding standards
A dedicated forum has been set-up to discuss all PHP API-related topics : http://share.ez.no/forums/new-php-api
Copyright & license
Copyright eZ Systems AS, for copyright and license details see provided LICENSE file.