- IMPORTANT incompatible changes:
- Changed logpath to 'errors' log (was 'userlogins')
- All calls to iptables command now use -w switch introduced in
iptables 1.4.20 (some distribution could have patched their
earlier base version as well) to provide this locking mechanism
useful under heavy load to avoid contesting on iptables calls.
If you need to disable, define 'action.d/iptables-common.local'
with empty value for 'lockingopt' in `[Init]` section.
* mail-whois-lines, sendmail-geoip-lines and sendmail-whois-lines
actions now include by default only the first 1000 log lines in
the emails. Adjust <grepopts> to augment the behavior.
* reload in interactive mode appends all the jails twice (gh-825)
* reload server/jail failed if database used (but was not changed) and
some jail active (gh-1072)
* filter.d/dovecot.conf - also match unknown user in passwd-file.
Thanks Anton Shestakov
* Fix fail2ban-regex not parsing journalmatch correctly from filter config
* filter.d/asterisk.conf - fix security log support for Asterisk 12+
- Updated regex to work with 'errors' log (1.0.5 and 1.1.1)
- Added regex to work with 'userlogins' log
* action.d/sendmail*.conf - use LC_ALL (superseeding LC_TIME) to override
locale on systems with customized LC_ALL
* performance fix: minimizes connection overhead, close socket only at
communication end (gh-1099)
* unbanip always deletes ip from database (independent of bantime, also if
currently not banned or persistent)
* guarantee order of dbfile to be before dbpurgeage (gh-1048)
* always set 'dbfile' before other database options (gh-1050)
* kill the entire process group of the child process upon timeout (gh-1129).
Otherwise could lead to resource exhaustion due to hanging whois
* resolve /var/run/fail2ban path in setup.py to help installation
on platforms with /var/run -> /run symlink (gh-1142)
- New Features:
* RETURN iptables target is now a variable: <returntype>
* New type of operation: pass2allow, use fail2ban for "knocking",
opening a closed port by swapping blocktype and returntype
* New filters:
- froxlor-auth - Thanks Joern Muehlencord
- apache-pass - filter Apache access log for successful authentication
* New actions:
- shorewall-ipset-proto6 - using proto feature of the Shorewall. Still requires
manual pre-configuration of the shorewall. See the action file for detail.
* New jails:
- pass2allow-ftp - allows FTP traffic after successful HTTP authentication
* action.d/cloudflare.conf - improved documentation on how to allow
multiple CF accounts, and jail.conf got new compound action
definition action_cf_mwl to submit cloudflare report.
* Check access to socket for more detailed logging on error (gh-595)
* fail2ban-testcases man page
* filter.d/apache-badbots.conf, filter.d/nginx-botsearch.conf - add
HEAD method verb
* Revamp of Travis and coverage automated testing
* Added a space between IP address and the following colon
in notification emails for easier text selection
* Character detection heuristics for whois output via optional setting
in mail-whois*.conf. Thanks Thomas Mayer.
Not enabled by default, if _whois_command is set to be
%(_whois_convert_charset)s (e.g. in action.d/mail-whois-common.local),
- detects character set of whois output (which is undefined by
RFC 3912) via heuristics of the file command
- converts whois data to UTF-8 character set with iconv
- sends the whois output in UTF-8 character set to mail program
- avoids that heirloom mailx creates binary attachment for input with
unknown character set