FreeIPA allows Linux administrators to centrally manage identity, authentication and access control aspects of Linux and UNIX systems by providing simple to install and use command line and web based management tools.
FreeIPA is built on top of well known Open Source components and standard protocols with a very strong focus on ease of management and automation of installation and configuration tasks.
FreeIPA can seamlessly integrate into an Active Directory environment via cross-realm Kerberos trust or user synchronization.
- Allows all your users to access all the machines with the same credentials and security settings
- Allows users to access personal files transparently from any machine in an authenticated and secure way
- Uses an advanced grouping mechanism to restrict network access to services and files only to specific users
- Allows central management of security mechanisms like passwords, SSH Public Keys, SUDO rules, Keytabs, Access Control Rules
- Enables delegation of selected administrative tasks to other power users
- Integrates into Active Directory environments
The FreeIPA project provides unified installation and management tools for the following components:
- LDAP Server - based on the 389 project
- KDC - based on MIT Kerberos implementation
- PKI based on Dogtag project
- Samba libraries for Active Directory integration
- DNS Server based on BIND and the Bind-DynDB-LDAP plugin
Releases, announcements and other information can be found on the IPA server project page at http://www.freeipa.org/ .
The most up-to-date documentation can be found at http://freeipa.org/page/Documentation .
To get started quickly, start here: http://www.freeipa.org/page/Quick_Start_Guide
- Building FreeIPA from source
- See the BUILD.txt file in the source root directory
Please see the file called COPYING.
- If you want to be informed about new code releases, bug fixes, security fixes, general news and information about the IPA server subscribe to the freeipa-announce mailing list at https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/freeipa-interest/ .
- If you have a bug report please submit it at: https://pagure.io/freeipa/issues
- If you want to participate in actively developing IPA please subscribe to the freeipa-devel mailing list at https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/freeipa-devel/ or join us in IRC at irc://irc.freenode.net/freeipa