Gobby: First Contact
Gobby is a free collaborative editor. This means that it provides you with the possibility to edit files simultaneously with other users over a network. The platforms on which you could use Gobby are so far Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and other Unix-like ones. Developed with the GTK+ toolkit it integrates nicely into the GNOME desktop environment if you want it to.
- Realtime collaboration through encrypted connections (including PFS)
- Each user has its own colour to be identified by others
- Local group Undo
- Group chat
- Shows cursors and selections of remote users
- Sidebar with all the others having joined the session
- Syntax highlighting, auto indentation, configurable tab width
- Multiple documents in one session
- Zeroconf support (optional)
- Unicode support
- Highly configurable dedicated server
- Sophisticated Access Control Lists (ACLs)
- Cross-platform: Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, other flavours of Unix
- Free software, licenced under the terms of the ISC license
- libinfinity (0.7.x)
- Glib (>= 2.18.0)
- Glibmm (>= 2.18.0)
- libxml++ (>= 2.6.0)
- libgsasl (>= 0.2.21)
- Gtkmm-3.0 (>= 3.0)
- GtkSourceView-3.0 (>= 3.0)
How to report bugs
Bugs should be files as issues on the github issue tracker at https://github.com/gobby/gobby/issues.
How to get involved
We urgently seek all kind of people who could help us in any way. Firstly we need documentation writers who could help us crafting a help file and some standalone documentation for the web. Secondly, if you are skilled in C/C++ programming, we could need helping hands with programming. A starting point could be github issues. And last, but certainly not least, we need translators who get their hands at Gobby's string templates to get it localised. Thus more could use Gobby in their native language. Just contact us, if in doubt, for more details.
There are also two mailing lists which should provide a mean of contact to other Gobby users and to the developers.
- obby-announce: A moderated list used to announce new releases of Gobby and its foundation, libinfinity. To subscribe, please send an email with the topic "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org. A list archive is available at https://email@example.com.
- obby-users: Discussions about Gobby's usage and installation problems. The announcements are also posted there. To subscribe, please send an email with the topic "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org. A list archive is available at https://email@example.com.
Copyright (C) 2008-2015, Armin Burgmeier firstname.lastname@example.org
Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
To get in contact with the developers, please use the obby-users mailing
list mentioned above, or open an issue on github. To get the up-to-date
Gobby code to hack on, use
git clone https://github.com/gobby/gobby.git.
Pull requests against our GitHub repository