Chrome restore focus
Restore focus from anywhere in browser (search address bar, devtool inspector/console etc.) back to the document
How to use it?
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:hbt/chrome-restore-focus.git
- go to chrome://extensions/
- turn on "developer mode"
- click "load unpacked extension"
- select extension
- at the bottom chrome://extensions/ add keyboard shortcuts e.g Ctrl+E
How it works?
That's it. After mapping the keyboard shortcut, pressing Ctrl+E will restore the focus. It works by capturing the focus through a browser action. It does everything very quickly and is not visible (<50ms)
You may have to tweak the 50ms value in the timeout in chrome-restore-focus/popup.js If the computer is slow, it would take longer than 50ms. Possibly there is a way to enhance this
There is a lot of jquery, underscore dependencies crap and most of the code is copied my other project. It could use a clean up.
Why build it?
- view issue in https://superuser.com/questions/324266/google-chrome-mac-set-keyboard-focus-from-address-bar-back-to-page
Why is this better?
- it works anywhere in the browser as opposed to the search engine hack
- it is one keyboard shortcut