People think they are getting smarter by using passphrases. Let's prove them wrong!
This project includes a massive wordlist of phrases (~18 million) and two hashcat rule files for GPU-based cracking. The rules will create over 1,000 permutations of each phase.
Passphrase wordlist and raw data sources are available to download via the torrent files here. You only need the 'passphrases' file and the hashcat rules, but some researchers may want to take a look at the raw sources.
If you cannot download via the torrents, try here
Use both rules for best results.
Here is an example for NTLMv2 hashes: If you use the
-O option, watch out for what the maximum password length is set to - it may be too short.
hashcat64.bin -a 0 -m 5600 hashes.txt passphrases.txt -r passphrase-rule1.rule -r passphrase-rule2.rule -w 3
So far, I've scraped the following:
- 15,000 Useful Phrases
- Urban Dictionary dataset pulled Dec 09 2017 using this great script.
- Song lyrics for Rolling Stone's "top 100" artists using my lyric scraping tool.
- Movie titles and lines from this Cornell project.
- "Titles" from the IMDB dataset on Kaggle.
- Global POI dataset using the 'allCountries' file.
- Quotables dataset on Kaggle.
- MemeTracker dataset from Kaggle.
- Wikipedia Article Titles dataset from Kaggle.
- 1,800 English Phrases
- 2016 US Presidential Debates dataset on Kaggle.
- Goodreads Book Reviews from Kaggle. I scraped the titles of over 300,000 books.
- US & UK top album names, artists, and track names from the 1950s - 2018 using mwkling's tool here.
- Note: I modified that python script to download multiple charts, as opposed to just US Billboard
Check out the script cleanup.py to see how I've cleaned the raw sources.
It works like this:
$ python3.6 cleanup.py infile.txt outfile.txt Reading from ./infile.txt: 505 MB Wrote to ./outfile.txt: 250 MB Elapsed time: 0:02:53.062531
Given the phrase
take the red pill the first hashcat rule will output the following
take the red pill take-the-red-pill take.the.red.pill take,the,red,pill take_the_red_pill taketheredpill Take the red pill TAKE THE RED PILL tAKE THE RED PILL Taketheredpill tAKETHEREDPILL TAKETHEREDPILL Take The Red Pill TakeTheRedPill Take-The-Red-Pill Take.The.Red.Pill Take,The,Red,Pill Take_The_Red_Pill
Adding in the second hashcat rule makes things get a bit more interesting. That will return a huge list per candidate. Here are a couple examples:
T@k3Th3R3dPill! T@ke-The-Red-Pill taketheredpill2020! T0KE THE RED PILL (unintentional humor)