Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
What is Animation DNA?
Animation DNA is an example project for Maya > Arnold > Nuke pipeline which could be used as template for any full CG task — from a single shot to a whole 3D animation feature film.
In other words, Animation DNA is out of the box VFX pipeline for animation studio (or for a single person). Animation DNA is a starting point which defines main and most important pipeline actions and could be easily refined according to requirements of a particular project.
The core of Animation DNA is a database — it contains all information you need to create and manage film production. There are two types of database could be used with Animation DNA:
This is free public version of Animation DNA and it works on JSON database!
FTrack is more usable for a bigger projects, can operate more quantity of logical data pieces and store more information about production actions. Documentation is relevant for both types of database.
How to use Animation DNA?
As an option, you can use some of Animation DNA tools exclusively, without linking to the whole pipeline system. For example, Asset Manger and Render Manager has many functions, useful if you rendering with Arnold. In this case just put Animation DNA scripts into Maya scripts folder and run Maya with wrpapper
Animation DNA documentation
This wiki is Animation DNA documentation. It consists from three main parts:
- Quick start tutorial — easy way to get in
- Codex DNA — full description of pipeline
- Animation DNA tools — specification of pipeline tools
To understand principles of Animation DNA pipeline you need to reed Codex DNA which define terms, describe overall pipeline logic and has particular instructions for each stage of production.
On the right side of wiki you can find full Animation DNA documentation table of contents.
Gist and features
Main principle of Animation DNA is simplicity which could be extended to a more complex systems at any required stage. According to progressive workflow algorithm Animation DNA is a basement which drive production to the first final result with a minimum effort.
Features of Animation DNA:
- Human being oriented workflow
- Elaborated basement of information and processes structuring, which allow flexible extension
- Suitability for small or big projects
- Drive creation of VFX content for each shot from the database. This mean that project management team builds shots entering all necessary information in FTrack and artists can focus only at creative side of work.
- Recording of key steps of production in database
- Reliable and easy outsourcing of animation