Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

font-family: -apple-system,system-ui,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto,"Helvetica Neue",Arial,sans-serif #665

Closed
DoronBrayer opened this issue Apr 3, 2017 · 10 comments

Comments

Projects
None yet
8 participants
@DoronBrayer
Copy link

commented Apr 3, 2017

It's time to add:
font-family: -apple-system,system-ui,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto,"Helvetica Neue",Arial,sans-serif

This solution is harmless and very useful.
It is used by GitHub, Wordpress, Bootstrap, Medium, Ghost, etc.

The main reason for using "system" fonts is performance. Fonts are typically one of the largest/heaviest resources loaded on a website. If we can use a font already available on the user’s machine, we can completely eliminate the need to fetch this resource, making load times noticeably faster.
The beauty of system fonts is that it matches what the current OS uses, so it can be a comfortable look.

  • -apple-system targets San Francisco in Safari (on Mac OS X and iOS), and it targets Neue Helvetica and Lucida Grande on older versions of Mac OS X. It properly selects between San Francisco Text and San Francisco Display depending on the text’s size.
  • system-ui represents the default UI font on a given platform.
  • BlinkMacSystemFont is the equivalent for Chrome on Mac OS X.
  • Segoe UI targets Windows and Windows Phone.
  • Roboto targets Android and newer Chrome OS. It is deliberately listed after Segoe UI so that if you’re an Android developer on Windows and have Roboto installed, Segoe UI will be used instead.

The bottom line: It's truly the ultimate solution for any website/webapp in any OS.

More info

@kevinvanrijn

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Apr 3, 2017

Didn't normalize.css just get rid of opinionated defaults? I don't see how this would be less opinionated then the old font-family: sans-serif; rule.

@russmaxdesign

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Apr 3, 2017

This is opinionated. See this thread #664

@DoronBrayer

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Author

commented Apr 3, 2017

Using system fonts is not "opinionated".
System fonts are just system fonts.
If you insist, use:
font-family: -apple-system,system-ui,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto [Removing the "Helvetica Neue",Arial,sans-serif part]
This is normalization, not reset.
Again- this solution is used by GitHub, Wordpress, Bootstrap, Medium, Ghost, etc.

@miquelfire

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Apr 3, 2017

What browser is using ANY of these fonts by default?

@DoronBrayer

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Author

commented Apr 3, 2017

@thierryk

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Apr 3, 2017

@DoronBrayer that does not answer @miquelfire's question:

What browser is using ANY of these fonts by default?

Normalize relates to default styling and—as far as I know—browsers do not use system fonts out-of-the-box.

@DoronBrayer

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Author

commented Apr 4, 2017

If 99% of the websites uses sans-serif as default, why go with the other 1%?! - Go with the majority, go with the 99%!
In addition - sans-serif is used by any framework out there, and there's a reason for that.
Not setting a font-family (in body or html) is so 2007.
It's time to move on, really.

@jonathantneal

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Contributor

commented Apr 11, 2017

@DoronBrayer, I get what you are saying, but what you are describing is less the use case for bugs and common browser inconsistencies and more the use case for common developer expectations and preferences, like box-sizing: border-box, etc..

At least one project needs to hold the fort so to speak so that there may be a reliable base for your own projects, or bootstrap, or sanitize.css, etc.

@bardiharborow

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented May 14, 2017

Noting for further reference, that we've had to back out system-ui over at Bootstrap due to a number of issues with faulty Chinese fonts on Windows.

@mvasilkov

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Oct 15, 2017

Since this feature isn't going to be added here, a shameless plug: https://github.com/mvasilkov/systematize
It's basically normalize.css with some improvements to typography, coming from this repo's pull requests mostly. WIP.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
You can’t perform that action at this time.