Join GitHub today
Getting Started on OSX
Getting started with the NodeMCU devkit on OSX (for version 1.0):
To connect to it, first install CoolTerm
- pick Options, then select the /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART connection that those drivers created.
- 9600 baud worksforme
If on connection, the device says "Please run file.remove("user.lua") before first use." in a loop, enter the commands:
To flash the firmware you need special flags.
Get the appropriate NodeMCU firmware
git clone https://github.com/themadinventor/esptool.git cd esptool sudo python ./setup.py install
Hold down the "FLASH" button on the device and hit the "RST" button while doing so.
Substituting in the correct path to the firmware file you downloaded, run
python ./esptool.py --port=/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART write_flash -fm=dio -fs=32m 0x00000 ../nodemcu-master-8-modules-2015-09-01-02-42-13-float.bin
Unplug the device and replug it.
Connect for great justice
Thanks to François Guillier for figuring most of this out!
Please note: If you have the older NodeMCU dev kit version (blue silkscreen, says Devkit 0.9 on the silkscreen) try these steps:
- You'll need the WCH serial driver: http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_MAC_ZIP.html
- My module did not have a reset button wired. The simplest way to flash the ESP8266 for me was to:
- Make note of the serial port. Look out of something like: /dev/cu.wchusbserial...
- Unplug the NodeMCU dev kit first.
- Press the FLASH button and keep it pressed.
- Replug the NodeMCU dev kit,
- Wait a bit and then release the FLASH button.
- Start the flashing process with executing the terminal commands from above.
To figure out the serial port, type in the Terminal: ls /dev/cu.*