Bare-Metal Provisioning 101
Install CentOS by hand
Install the same node using kickstart
Bare-Metal Provisioning 201
Setup a basic cobbler server
Build a profile
Kickstart a node
Change the profile, re-kickstart the node
Cloud Provisioning 101
Setup a free-tier account with AWS
Spawn a Linux node from the AWS Console
Cloud Provisioning 201
Spawn a Linux node using the AWS API
Attach an Elastic IP and EBS to it
Install and start up MySQL
Create basic relational database / tables, using a variety of field types
Grant and revoke privileges
Write (or provide, probably depends on where this fits in relation to scripting tutorial?) basic tool to insert and retrieve some data.
Spawn up second VM/MySQL install
Set up Master->Slave replication
Deliberately break and then fix replication
Set up Master<->Master replication
Introduction to percona toolkit
Set up Riak Cluster, modify the tool from 101 to demonstrate replication.
- Introduction to variables and their meaning. Tuning MySQL configuration (use mysqltuner.pl as a launch point?), pros and cons of various options.
- Introducing EXPLAIN and how to analyse and improve queries and schema.
- Backup options, mysqldump, LVM Snapshotting, Xtrabackup.
Do you need it? How much and why?
- Talk basic theory and approach in terms of Idempotency and Convergence.
- Write a bash script to install something as idempotently as possible.
- Discuss Chef and Puppet and while reflecting on the bash script.