This project is no longer being maintained. Users are encouraged to access the MODIS/VIIRS web service using the REST API. The SOAP web service will be deprecated in the near future. This tutorial is implemented for the REST service in another repository: https://github.com/ornldaac/modis_restservice_qc_filter_R
Access the MODIS web service and perform quality filtering using R
Author: ORNL DAAC
Date: February 27, 2018
Contact for ORNL DAAC: email@example.com
Keywords: MODIS, web service, R, SOAP
The tutorial outlined in the jupyter notebook will explore using the MODISTools library in R to access MODIS Land Products through a standards based SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol) Web Service hosted by the ORNL DAAC.
Using the MODIS Web Service users can:
- Retrieve MODIS subsets through command line operations
- Download and integrate subsets directly into client-side workflows
- Download and visualize subsets with customized code
... and much more.
This tutorial will demonstrate how to do the following in R:
- build a time series of MOD11A2 land surface temperature from multiple web service requests
- format subset responses for easy integration in R workflows
- perform quality control filtering based on MODIS qc criteria
Other methods for accessing data through the web service are described at the MODIS web page; https://modis.ornl.gov.
R (3.x recommended). R libraries: MODISTools, ggplot2, scales, tidyr
Access the the tutorial here: