Sample app using pushlink CUSTOM strategy to perform background updates
Background updates synonyms:
- Installing apk without user interaction
- Silent updates
- Zero-touch updates
- KIOSK apps
- POS - Point of Sale apps
- Dedicated devices
- COSU - Corporate Owned Single Use devices
- This only works in devices running Android 6 (Marshmallow, API 23) or higher
- This sample requires the app to be a device owner. Device owner is NOT device admin.
- There must be just one device owner and it can't be unset without factory reset.
- Setting a device owner requires an unprovisioned device. In other words: a device without accounts, like google account, etc.
- Bottom line: Use emulator or a test born device before releasing to production
- Clone and replace the string "yourApiKey" in the PushlinkSetup.java
- Build a signed APK and upload it to Pushlink
- Deploy the APK you just uploaded and after execute:
adb shell dpm set-device-owner com.pushlink.background/.PushlinkAdminReceiver
- Make some visible change (like hello world NEW) and run again
- Wait and see the magic happen